Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Cypert's Minnow

This originally was developed by Charlie Cypert for fishing South Texas white bass runs.  It can also be used well with sunfish, bass and crappie.   You can add some lead to get it down faster, or even some heavier dumbbell eyes if you choose.  However traditionally it is tied with bead chain eyes.  Its a very simple pattern that can be tied in a number of different color combos and you can fill a box quickly.   I would call this a guide style fly, that allows someone to make many flies in a short amount of time with low cost materials.   You can tie these in a number of different sizes as well.  

That Cypert would work just fine as a bonefish bug on bare sandy flats as well… Just lay it out in front of a feeding or pushing group of fish.  Allow it to settle then simply twitch it up a tiny bit when they’re close enough to see it.  They’ll do the rest.  That’s how we’ve been using Crazy Charlies for years…

1 hour ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

That Cypert would work just fine as a bonefish bug on bare sandy flats as well… Just lay it out in front of a feeding or pushing group of fish.  Allow it to settle then simply twitch it up a tiny bit when they’re close enough to see it.  They’ll do the rest.  That’s how we’ve been using Crazy Charlies for years…

Ya? I’ve always thought of bonefish as crustacean eaters.  Shrimp crabs but not small baitfish.  Although maybe this could imitate a shrimp in a way also.  

They commonly feed on small fry, glass minnows, etc — as well as shrimp, small crabs and worms etc.   

The only change I’d make for bones is to use a standard (or shorter) hook.

9 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

They commonly feed on small fry, glass minnows, etc — as well as shrimp, small crabs and worms etc.   

The only change I’d make for bones is to use a standard (or shorter) hook.

Oh yeah for sure, these are freshwater hooks.  Would bend on a bone I’m sure.  And that’s cool, never knew they are fish as well as shrimp.  

One trick I like to do with bead chain eyes - don't cut the eyes until the 2 end beads have a couple cross-wraps on the hook.  With my old, fat fingers this saves me looking around my bench for them when I drop them! (Maybe every 8 /12 out of 10 times!)  Holding the entire bead chain while starting the thread wraps just gives more to hang on to.

Nice vid on a great, easy to tie and effective pattern!

Kim

I wrap the thread around the beadchain before I put it on the hook. I then pull l it down to where I want it, where the thread is on  the hook.

On 5/30/2023 at 4:55 PM, RickZieger said:

I wrap the thread around the beadchain before I put it on the hook. I then pull l it down to where I want it, where the thread is on  the hook.

👌👍

Excellent work. Your videos have really become top notch, nicely done. 

Do you ever put epoxy or UV resin over the mylar?

Since the talk on bead chain eyes I use small wire cutters. When you snip the bead chain one side is cut close, other side can stick out. I use a magnet to pull long piece of wire out and snip it flush. Sometimes I put a spot of UV on the holes and dab eyes on with marker, then another dab of UV. Makes eye look like they pop out of bead. Cypert minnow is one of my favorite ties for swaps and fishing panfish.