Fly Tying
Sessions

A.k. Best vise

I think I remember reading about the AK vise when it came out and that it lacked holding power.  I suspect if it did it would still be made.I think the head is really fine, is it not?

7 hours ago, Gene L said:

I think I remember reading about the AK vise when it came out and that it lacked holding power.  I suspect if it did it would still be made.I think the head is really fine, is it not?

I've got one, and yes, the jaws lack holding power.  That's a shame because it renders useless an other wise nice vice.

On 3/12/2022 at 10:20 AM, Gene L said:

I have no problem with that at all, from what I read it was hit or miss with the jaws

AK's "third hand" device in the upper left corner is probably worth more than the vise itself

I remember reading that they produced a 2nd generation that was intended to correct the jaw issues of the first?  To the eye they look identical and I don't know if that  fixed the problem.  There are a lot of older tying videos on Youtube of some well know fly tires using them.  I have to say they are a beautiful looking vise.

This is from the link below-

"The A. K. Best designed McKenzie Fly Tying Vise, second, and best generation model, with the improved jaws". 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/247758124/a-k-best-mckenzie-fly-tying-vise?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

On 3/15/2022 at 5:24 AM, flytire said:

AK's "third hand" device in the upper left corner is probably worth more than the vise itself

No way lol, I got that for $10 bucks