Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chasing_Tails

Invited a friend home for dinner after this trip, Florida marsh 03/13

Back in the marsh after getting home from Oregon last week. Evidently the temperature followed me home and after a cold front on Saturday, the Sunday morning temperatures started out barely in the 40s (aka freezing for Floridians) with a pretty stiff wind. The decision was to head into the marsh where the trees would at at least give a bit of respite from the wind. 

it was a touch morning but a few reds were holding in the deeper holes and were eating after the tide changed over to incoming. The Congo Bull Minnow from a few weeks ago did well and had two reds come to the boat along with a couple of small snook. Number two red was a nice 21" fish that asked to come home for dinner. I politely obliged and we ended up having a great evening together. Thankfully the warmer weather is moving in more and the reds should move up onto the flats in the next few weeks.

How it started:

1E9A3918-DCC4-4FE5-BB74-85F5F5672F01.JPEG.a7ab37e59067559278f5026e038ea1de.JPEG

How it's going:

IMG_6699.jpg.4027728d3df0e27c35708333b6c5545f.jpg

Okay I never ate a red, what’s it like? Is it a white flaky meat with no oil or fishy taste? 

I generally don't eat fish, but I love Redfish.  They are all the things you don't want, oily, fishy, or soft.

3 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Okay I never ate a red, what’s it like? Is it a white flaky meat with no oil or fishy taste? 

Redfish is one of my favorites. Flaky with a firm texture and not oily at all. Of course the traditional way to cook it is blackened. I coat it with olive oil and then Chef Prudhommes Redfish Magic and throw in the air fryer on the fish preset (or 10 minutes at 350). Add some Zatarain’s dirty rice and some pan fried green beans and your good to go.

Redfish is pretty adaptable and can be prepared a variety of ways though.

And it is Florida so not adding in a slice of key lime pie would be criminal.

3 hours ago, Noahguide said:

I generally don't eat fish, but I love Redfish.  They are all the things you don't want, oily, fishy, or soft.

Ok I’m confused. They are oily fishy and soft? That’s what I hate.

10 minutes ago, Chasing_Tails said:

Redfish is one of my favorites. Flaky with a firm texture and not oily at all. Of course the traditional way to cook it is blackened. I coat it with olive oil and then Chef Prudhommes Redfish Magic and throw in the air fryer on the fish preset (or 10 minutes at 350). Add some Zatarain’s dirty rice and some pan fried green beans and your good to go.

Redfish is pretty adaptable and can be prepared a variety of ways though.

And it is Florida so not adding in a slice of key lime pie would be criminal.

Flaky, firm and not oily is the kind of fish I like. I’m going with this answer cause I also love key lime pie 

10 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Ok I’m confused. They are oily fishy and soft? That’s what I hate.

Poorly worded on my part they are NOT oily or fishy.  They are, delicious.

I’m in then! With a friend just buying a home in Venice Florida I will have to go down to fish for reds. Are they in the Venice/Sarasota area and can they be caught during winter? I saw people jetty fishing but they were all fishing shrimp for sheeps head, I think. 

20 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I’m in then! With a friend just buying a home in Venice Florida I will have to go down to fish for reds. Are they in the Venice/Sarasota area and can they be caught during winter? I saw people jetty fishing but they were all fishing shrimp for sheeps head, I think. 

Florida is open to fishing 365. The different temperatures will change the fish behavior and holding locations, but there is really no time of year that you can't find fish. Winter is actually one of my favorite times to target redfish because they school up in numbers with the cooler water.

And the Venice/Sarasota area is a great place to find a wide variety of saltwater species (sea trout, snook, flounder, tarpon, jack crealle, snapper). 

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Does he know I'm up for adoption? 😁

Got word that my oldest grandson is looking to buy somewhere in central FL along the Gulf Coast. Not sure of exact location yet. BTW, caught a redfish out of Tampa Bay. Didn't know what it was at the time but a local fellow said it was good eating. Yes, it was good!

Air Fryer? Cooked fish in many, many ways but never thought of the air fryer as an option. That looks good. Never had blackened Redfish but have done the trick with bass and catfish and they are good so Redfish would have to be so much better. Was going to bed now but seeing your plate just made me hungry.

5 hours ago, vicrider said:

Air Fryer? Cooked fish in many, many ways but never thought of the air fryer as an option. That looks good. Never had blackened Redfish but have done the trick with bass and catfish and they are good so Redfish would have to be so much better. Was going to bed now but seeing your plate just made me hungry.

The air fryer does a really good job. I started using it to make salmon. Just dust the fish with your seasoning of choice and then use the air fryer preset for fish. it came out perfect. It has been one of my go-to methods for most fish. If it is a thin fillet I just adjust the time down from the preset.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:00 PM, Chasing_Tails said:

Back in the marsh after getting home from Oregon last week. Evidently the temperature followed me home and after a cold front on Saturday, the Sunday morning temperatures started out barely in the 40s (aka freezing for Floridians) with a pretty stiff wind. The decision was to head into the marsh where the trees would at at least give a bit of respite from the wind. 

it was a touch morning but a few reds were holding in the deeper holes and were eating after the tide changed over to incoming. The Congo Bull Minnow from a few weeks ago did well and had two reds come to the boat along with a couple of small snook. Number two red was a nice 21" fish that asked to come home for dinner. I politely obliged and we ended up having a great evening together. Thankfully the warmer weather is moving in more and the reds should move up onto the flats in the next few weeks.

How it started:

1E9A3918-DCC4-4FE5-BB74-85F5F5672F01.JPEG.a7ab37e59067559278f5026e038ea1de.JPEG

How it's going:

IMG_6699.jpg.4027728d3df0e27c35708333b6c5545f.jpg

After our last misunderstanding, I'll try again...LOVE this picture, as a cooking enthusiast and lover of different regional foods. Good cold brew probably goes well with this...eh?

3 hours ago, SalarMan said:

After our last misunderstanding, I'll try again...LOVE this picture, as a cooking enthusiast and lover of different regional foods. Good cold brew probably goes well with this...eh?

Now that we have established a working relationship, feel free to insult my content as needed, lol.

The beverage was a classic of the south, Publix sweet tea. Strong stuff...