Fly Tying

On 3/21/2022 at 11:41 AM, Steeldrifter said:

Problem here in Michigan is they only have a small number of CO's for each county. So you don't see them that often here because one CO has to cover and entire county which is quite large. I wish they did have more of them because I would like to see them out there protecting our fisheries more than they are.

Here in Michigan (not sure about other states) but here a CO has the same powers as a regular police officer.

12 minutes ago, Bryon Anderson said:

Couldn't agree more Steve -- I've been fishing in Michigan for 25 years and in that time I have encountered COs only twice while out fishing. Once on the Pere Marquette during the height of spring Steelhead insanity, and he was checking everyone's license and creels (this was when you could still keep fish on the flies-only water). The other one was just last summer; a CO drove by as I was packing up to leave the river. He wanted to know where I had floated down from, and how many other boats I'd seen on the way. Apparently they were looking for someone and thought they might be in a canoe on the section I had just floated. 

I'd really like to see a lot more funding go to the DNR for additional COs. Unfortunately--in my opinion--there are way too many hunters and anglers here who view our woods and rivers not as "our resources" but as "my personal free meat supply." I have nothing against the legal harvesting of fish and game--I do it myself--but there are a LOT of guys out there who seem to feel that there should be no limits on anything they do. Again, just my opinion, but based on many years of observation. 

Here in Mass the consequences for not playing by the rules can be very severe.  The Environmental police have the power to seize meaning not to be returned any gear used to poach game.  This includes size and bag limits on fish as several people find out the hard way each year.  What a lot of people don't know is that the term "gear" is be defined to include not just your tackle but everything else in your possession including your boat and the vehicle you used to tow your boat to the scene of the crime.   

10 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Here in Mass the consequences for not playing by the rules can be very severe. 

I just did a little googling and found that, just this year, Michigan COs arrested a guy who had 9 illegally killed trophy bucks in his barn. He was fined $25,000 and jailed for at least 18 months. It was also discovered, during his arrest, that there was an arrest warrant out on him on a domestic violence charge. 

It is well worth noting that the COs who arrested this low-life were tipped off to the presence of the illegal deer by his neighbors. When COs are spread as thin as they are here in MI, I believe it is the responsibility of all law-abiding citizens to report offenses when we see them. So many people don't report offenders because they don't want to "get involved", or because they believe it won't do any good. We need to remember that, even if the offenders aren't caught for the offense we see or suspect, reporting the offense contributes to a trail of evidence that CAN result in violators being apprehended and brought to justice down the road. If you see something, say something.

On 3/21/2022 at 11:41 AM, Steeldrifter said:

Problem here in Michigan is they only have a small number of CO's for each county. So you don't see them that often here because one CO has to cover and entire county which is quite large. I wish they did have more of them because I would like to see them out there protecting our fisheries more than they are.

Here in Michigan (not sure about other states) but here a CO has the same powers as a regular police officer.

Same in Tennessee plus they enforce federal game laws. Mentioned this in previous post. Sad but most counties have one officer. More popular places as Chattanooga/Hamilton county have three due to hunting and lots of water in the Tennessee River.

5 hours ago, DFoster said:

Here in Mass the consequences for not playing by the rules can be very severe.  The Environmental police have the power to seize meaning not to be returned any gear used to poach game.  This includes size and bag limits on fish as several people find out the hard way each year.  What a lot of people don't know is that the term "gear" is be defined to include not just your tackle but everything else in your possession including your boat and the vehicle you used to tow your boat to the scene of the crime.   

Yep. Heard of a poacher who lost his new rifle and new truck. He was told he could buy it at auction the following July.

17 hours ago, Bryon Anderson said:

It is well worth noting that the COs who arrested this low-life were tipped off to the presence of the illegal deer by his neighbors. When COs are spread as thin as they are here in MI, I believe it is the responsibility of all law-abiding citizens to report offenses when we see them. So many people don't report offenders because they don't want to "get involved", or because they believe it won't do any good. We need to remember that, even if the offenders aren't caught for the offense we see or suspect, reporting the offense contributes to a trail of evidence that CAN result in violators being apprehended and brought to justice down the road. If you see something, say something.

As a resident of state that has a lot of shall we say "tolerance" for criminals and serious crimes, It's interesting to me that crime against wildlife or the environment still can and will get the book thrown at you. 

9 hours ago, DFoster said:

As a resident of state that has a lot of shall we say "tolerance" for criminals and serious crimes, It's interesting to me that crime against wildlife or the environment still can and will get the book thrown at you. 

Do the Greenies have a lot of influence in government?

12 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Do the Greenies have a lot of influence in government?

They think they do.  Some of them are people who seriously think exterminating a colony of termites for eating your home is a "genocide"  and that it is perfectly fine to burn SUV dealerships to save the planet.  They made the mistake of breaking the "Thou shall not ever interrupt the state revenue stream" commandment by attempting a coordinated effort to block deer hunters a few years ago.  Immediately following the state made it illegal to interfere with a sportsman and from what I understand the penalties are substantial. So the greenies don't seem to have the influence they thought they had.

On 3/22/2022 at 2:24 PM, Bryon Anderson said:

I just did a little googling and found that, just this year, Michigan COs arrested a guy who had 9 illegally killed trophy bucks in his barn. He was fined $25,000 and jailed for at least 18 months. 

Here in cental MD, they would probably give him a medal.  Deer a now a nuisance species, with many times their pre-columbian population..

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

They made the mistake of breaking the "Thou shall not ever interrupt the state revenue stream" commandment by attempting a coordinated effort to block deer hunters a few years ago.

It's unfortunate that they're ignorant of the significant revenue and resultant benefits of that revenue that hunters and fishers provide, and not only on a state level.  Or perhaps they  don't care.  

44 minutes ago, redietz said:

Here in cental MD, they would probably give him a medal.  Deer a now a nuisance species, with many times their pre-columbian population

It was amazing the number of dead deer I would see along the interstate when I lived in New Jersey years ago.  I lost a nice Volvo wagon when one jumped in front of me on a side road.  

55 minutes ago, redietz said:

Here in cental MD, they would probably give him a medal.  Deer a now a nuisance species, with many times their pre-columbian population..

Michigan's deer population is out of control too. In the city of Grand Haven, just 30 minutes south of where I live, herds of them wander freely through residential areas and the downtown business district. Once in a while the city will try to do an organized cull, with the venison being donated to homeless shelters, but inevitably the local PETA types freak out and shout it down. 

1 hour ago, Bryon Anderson said:

Michigan's deer population is out of control too.

Yep, you wouldn't believe it but even down here where I am (with in 10 miles of Detroit) I see deer around here in the city as well. There's a cemetery about 1 mile from my house and during the summer when I go for bike rides I'll usually see at least a half doz deer there in the cemetery, there's even a real nice buck in there as well. So odd to be right in the heart of a city and see deer even in the smallest of green spaces like a cemetery.

Have seen lots of deer on the freeways in the Chicago area. My parents lived in Chicago and said they live in the forest reserves which are parks that have a lot of the natural habitat untouched. Easy for them to live in populated areas.

2 hours ago, niveker said:

It's unfortunate that they're ignorant of the significant revenue and resultant benefits of that revenue that hunters and fishers provide, and not only on a state level.  Or perhaps they  don't care.  

I have no use for poachers or the meat is murder crowd, it's a toss up as to which I detest more.  In this case the enemy of my enemy isn't my friend. 

If you haven't seen this -

Capture.PNG.362529f33577a295b649fb79e8140d88.PNG

Years ago when I was solo backpack fishing deep into Nantahala forest in North Carolina for 5 days I handn't seen anyone, not even hikers.  I remember a backpacking buddy of mine saying that because the area traverses the NC/TN border that most of the Wildlife Officers are also U.S. Marshall's and have cross-State authority anywhere they go. 

Anyway, I was fishing on a nice quiet stretch of the stream when I hear a voice behind me say, "Hello, can I see your fishing license?"  I nearly jumped out of my wading boots!!  He chuckled and said that he didn't mean to startle me.  I figured, well, maybe he's gonna be ok. 

I produced my license, he asked me to empty my pockets (I was a young buck back then...), scrutinized me for a minute, asked a few questions and then said, "You know, a scruffy Hare's Ear nymph is killer on this stream".  He told me to be careful since I was backpacking by myself and left. 

BTW, he was right about the Hare's Ear nymph.  I tried one earlier with no luck but it was a freshly tied fly.  I scruffed it up some after he left and presto!

Cool guy.