Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

USPS out to screw rod builders and shippers

Starting April 3rd all those rod packages we send out at prices already raised a couple of times in last couple of years are now going to get a surcharge of $4 for any packaged rod that measures over 22" and $15 for those over 30". I am in the process of cleaning house here in my shop and have sold several rods recently that were more expensive bamboo rods. I am going to put a lot of my fiberglass rods out there and the $15 extra will definitely hurt the shipping on them. A $40 or $50 rod will now cost $30 to ship and that's without insurance.

Nick

I started using UPS back 2 yrs ago and stopped using USPS for 2 yrs, then have been using USPS again at times lately just because it's closer than UPS (gas prices). If they start doing that then I'll stop using them at all then. Extra charges on tubes is flat out bullshit too. When I worked at UPS loading trucks we would build "walls" out of packages and then any tubes would go up top or between the walls so in reality 2"-3" diameter tubes don't even take up real space like a box does.

Where did you find this info Nick? I haven't heard anything about it till now.

https://help.shipstation.com/hc/en-us/articles/4414926208283-USPS-Rate-Changes-January-9-2022-Overview#UUID-033927f5-a3a7-7450-3d44-670d2ec509d1_UUID-ac197614-01d4-8529-e881-25fd4b157382

Highlight...Tell me it doesn't apply to our rod shipments please. Hope I'm hearing wrong on other boards and I'll correct this.

• NEW: Starting in April 2022, there will be a new “nonstandard fee” for packages that must be sorted manually by the USPS when the dimensions of the package exceed sortation requirements. Rates will be adjusted based on box dimensions. Packages with length over 22 inches will have a $4.00 surcharge, packages with length over 30 inches will have $15.00 surcharge and packages over 2 cubic feet will have a $15.00 surcharge. This will apply to Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail and Parcel Select Ground.

Ok took me a few times reading it over, but I saw at the very top it says the new changes are only for people that subscribe/use "ShipStation"...

If you look right under where it says Summery of 2022 rate changes it says - "Here is a brief summary of what's changing for ShipStation subscribers who ship using USPS:"

I have no idea what that is because I don't use it so I had to look it up. I guess from what I saw its some software system that you can use in conjunction with USPS to print out and ship stuff. So if I am not mistaken, I "think" those changes are not for packages that are shipped out if you take it to your local PO.

I sure hope you're right but kid took a couple of rods into PO to ship for me and Post Mistress said yes, long packages are going up. Maybe she didn't completely understand it either and it only effects a certain group of senders.

Been doing a bit more searching right now, honestly I think that must only apply to that ShipStation thing. From what I read about that it is a web based software that combines all shipping companies (UPS/USPS/FED EX/DHL) into the one program and you have to print out labels and input sizes yourself online then the shipping company I think picks up the packages. I think that's why the one line says something about "if the package needs manual handling by USPS". Because if you drop a package off in person then all things dropped off are manually handled. So I think the link about the real high increases are just like it says which is for ShipStation subscribers. I'm sure there'll prob be some sort of increase again this year, there seems to be one almost every year lately, but those crazy high surcharges I am 99% sure are not for retail people dropping off in person.

More cuts in service and increased prices are coming. Better buy rolls of Forever Stamps.

USPS will have to fund itself.

https://mailomg.com/2020/02/13/white-house-usps-2021-budget-cuts/

" This proposal will restore solvency to the Postal Service and ensure that commitments to current and former employees are funded from business revenues rather than taxpayers."

Consider that the USPS has to deliver a letter to any address in the USA for the price of a first class stamp.

When I took a trip to a fly-in lodge in Alaska, they had their supplies like food, wine, toilet paper, etc delivered by the USPS!!!

It was cheaper to mail these items to the lodge than hire a float plane to fly them in from Anchorage, AK. So every week, a USPS float plane would deliver the supplies by US mail!

Looks like that $15 fee starts on Monday all across the board for everyone. I just punched in a shipment and used todays date and it came up $10.64 and then I used Mondays date just to see and it came up $25.64

I can tell you one thing for sure, this is a terrible business move by USPS and they are only going to lose money because of this. I normally ship about 3-5 rods per week and that equals about $65-$75 I spend there each and every week. But I will never use them again so they will not get one more penny out of my business.

Back to UPS only shipping for me.

52 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

UPS is where DeJoy and his wife own lots of stock, apparently.

As well as in several other delivery businesses, apparently. Can you say "conflict of interest?"

Me?...no I never did the home pick up with them. I will be doing all my shipping with UPS from now on though. No way I'm paying an extra $15 each time for nothing.