Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Well I finally pulled the trigger (get it?...see what I did there? 🙄) on something I have been wanting and looking at for the past few months, a new trigger upgrade for the Glock 48. I like my Glock but one thing I hate about all Glocks is the trigger. Glock uses a serrated blade style trigger which for many people, including myself, causes shooting to the left of target just because it is not all that easy to get the proper directly backward pulled on the squeeze of the trigger, especially for those of us like myself that have large hands.

So finally decided to order the Apex flat face trigger along with the polished trigger bar and connector. I think this is probably going to be the best upgrade I have done yet to the Glock far as comfort and help on improving my trigger squeeze.

HFlFkLV.jpg

The apex came a bit early. Took about 15 mnins and installed it today. Not only is it more comfortable, but the polished bar&connector drop the pull weight by about a full lb so that will be a nice added bonus as well. Looking forward to getting an hour this week to get it back to the range and try it out.

zKKBTJh.jpg

I’m curious to see how it works. I always thought the problem with Glocks is the angle of the grip. I have one and it shoots straight for me but I personally  never liked them because of how they feel in hand. 

Took the Glock to the range this morning to test out the new flat face Apex trigger I installed. I absolutely love the feel of it. Big improvement over the stock blade trigger. At 25ft I'm still shooting about 3" low, but no where near as bad low/left as I was with the stock trigger. Plus the grouping is much better with the feel on this trigger. This target has 100rds in it and all were pretty well grouped, just have to work up bringing the group up a few inches and I'll be right where I want to be.
I also did a little stippling myself on the left side of the frame for my support thumb, that seemed to have a good feel to it today as well.

dRRGXDi.jpg
ABJ6P9M.jpg

Your group is too close to blame "jerking" the trigger, so I'm guessing it's ... below.

image.png

Watch your sight picture.  If you are focusing on the target, the sights are fuzzy and you'll tend to aim like "1". 

Your eyes instinctively center the target between the posts of the rear sight.  To do this, your mind makes you dip the front front site to create the valley for centering in.

If you focus on the sights, the target will be fuzzy, but you'll consciously align the front and rear sights  like "2".  

Your choices are to adjusts the sights so aiming point one works for you, or learn to focus on the sights instead of the target to work with the sights.

Yep, at 25’ you should have the red blown out. Jerking the trigger would be a big fundamental problem. You have a little fundamental problem. As such you can rule out all of the big fundamental problems like grip, stance, trigger jerking etc. it’s got to be sight alignment as mike showed (low front site post). Remember, where the front sight goes the bullet follows, the rear sight is a tool to assist the front sight alignment. I know with me, my eyes are old and I wear bifocals. I use the part of the lens where I can clearly see the sights which leaves the target a little blurry. Better this way then a crisp clear target and blurry sights. 

Could also be poor shot follow through. In other words your dipping the barrel before the shot leaves the Barrel. Could be because your compensating for the expected recoil or your thinking the job of marksmanship is over after the trigger is pulled. The job ain’t over until there’s no more bullet in the barrel. Next time you go to the range, slow down. Pull the trigger and pause a second holding the trigger to the rear. Don’t allow the trigger to move forward and reset for a second. When you allow the trigger to reset make sure your finger never looses contact with the trigger. Ride it back until it resets. Do this slowly and over time increase the speed until you never loose contact with the trigger. Most people, when resetting the trigger after firing a shot, will loose contact with the trigger and they have to find the trigger with their finger following every shot causing the trigger to be slapped a bit. 

much better though. Nothing improves marksmanship better than lots of practice. Good job. 

Yeah I think my biggest issue now is just learning to focus more on the front sight. For some reason the Glock white front dot and white rear U tends to give me issues with being able to stay focused on the front site. I was actually thinking of maybe taking a yellow dry erase marker and dotting it on the white front sight next week when I got to the range and see if maybe that helps me focus more on it.

I swear my memory sucks, don't ever get old 😑

I totally forgot that a few weeks ago my buddy who use to be a gunsmith that worked mostly on Glocks years ago gave me some extra parts he had laying around. One of them was an older laser sight where the laser was built right into the rear sight, and then it used a fiber optic front sight. I am not a fan of lasers so I don't plan on using that, but I just got it out and put the fiber optic front sight on. I think this may be better for me picking up the front sight a lot better than the white. Gonna give this a try at the range Monday and see how I like it.

EgrtAMi.jpg

Steve, you may want to try switching out the rear sights as well. I’ve gotten use to the Glock sights but much prefer the three dot sights on my Shield

Monday = Range day. Much better session today. Lower left were first 10rds, lower right was next 20 rds, then top right was final 70rds. Still got a few strays here and there but finally starting to get the majority of impacts close to where they need to be. Swapped out the stock Glock front sight the other day for a fiber optic one and that seems to help me front sight focus on it a lot better now.

diBuzjJ.jpg

A few bucks at the range to improve accuracy ... check.

A few bucks in ammo ... check.

Knowing you can put two in the heart of an intruder ... priceless.