Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
richmce

mustad hooks

for alot of my streamer i have used mustad34007  duratin hooks, mostly purchased at bass pro.  last year they were 9-10 bucks a hundred  sizes 6-1/0.few weeks ago they had only size 6which i didnt need.  i looked online and they are over $20 per hundred.   what do you recommend for  freshwater streamer hooks in size 2,to 2/0?

The hook number you've cited "34007" is a stainless model.   It's duratin equivalent, I believe, is the "3407"  that might just be the difference in price you found...  Mustad also makes a line of premium fly-tying hooks these days. The Signature Fly Hook equivalent to the 34007 is the S715Z - but I've never seen or used any of their signature line...  You can be sure that everything imported into the US these days is really jumping up in price... Recently I bought a spool of Seaguar 80lb fluoro leader material to make tarpon leaders with - that spool was normally in the $40 range if memory serves - it's nearly $90 now.... Since my politics are somewhere to the right of Attilla the Hun... I'm looking forward to next November... 

I'm pretty ignorant of freshwater hooks for fly tying since I've never needed them.  I'll be watching this thread to learn a bit... 

For over 10 years, all my purchases of hooks have been for MFC (Montana Fly Company,) hooks.  I have not had any problems with any of them.  Here is a link to their 4 XL freshwater streamer hook which sells for $11.00 per hundred.  There seems to be a problem with attaching links so here it is from my source.  https://www.dreamdriftflies.com/product_info.php?cPath=147_675_149&products_id=3288  control tap should launch it.  or cut and past.

ALSO Umpqua has an excellent line of lower priced hooks in the U series.  The 4 XL in this hook sells for 11.20 per hundred.  AvidMax is a good source which offers loyalty points with any purchase.  I am NOT connected to either of these vendors,  These are imply the hooks I have been using.