Fly Tying
rougetrout

Tie your Own leaders?

How many of you out there tie your own leaders? What is your favorite recipie  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do both. I used to tie all of my own exclusively. But it just got old and my time wasn't worth it. If I can buy a trout leader for $4, that's worth my time for that. But for my specialty stuff like pike and steelhead, where a storebought leader won't work, I still gladly tie my own.

Jeff

I use the tapered leaders. the reason I don't tie my own is that my buddy tied his the other day and used I think 1x,2x,3x,4x,5x,6x. His leader turned over very late, this was on a 4wt. rod. And plus they say that the more knots you have in your leader/tippet the more the line tends to break. I agree this is a good poll!!

I choose by hand tied because. I currently use furled leaders with those little rings.

How ever I have recently bought a Magazine not to be mentioned by name which showed how to tie faux furled leaders(made by twisting a single strand of mono) and it was very simple ,but I think Ill want to build a ring in. It should also very simple to do and It casted well using the directed formula. However I think Ill enjoy the idea of tuning my own very soon.

so are you saying a regular tapered leader won't work for steelhead??? why not? I always figured if you use 2x or 3x leader it would work?

I buy the knotless tapered and make a loop after several flies have shortened it and slap on some 4, 6 or 8lb. test mono depending on the situation.

I am looking into a furled leader though after hearing nothing but good things about them.

I've always tied my own,using the chart rougetrout mentioned earlier.2 years ago I started using silk furled leaders,and now use Quigleys silk furled leaders on everything 5wt and under.For my Wife,and everything 6wt and above I still tie my own.......really like the Frog's Hair tying kit,and sometimes add a flourocarbon tippet.

Wow....I'm a bait fisherman.That just sounds wrong.

I make my own furled leaders now and they are the cat's pajamas! :yahoo: Once you get the hang of it they are quick and easy to make and the possibilities are endless for modifying to fit any situation.