Fly Tying
rougetrout

Tie your Own leaders?

How many of you out there tie your own leaders? What is your favorite recipie  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I once caught a walleye that tried to eat something that got stuck on my thread furled leader. I'm not really sure what he was doing but I landed him in hand and found he had a tooth stuck in the thread. No hook within 6' of his mouth. He was caught by the thread. No harm at all to the leader. Not sure how that equates to bluefish but I would worry less about bite offs with thread leaders then mono.

Too much trouble, IMHO! I can get tapered leaders or furled leader (my favorite as they last forever) with tippet. I tried it but the knots collected all kinds of junk.

I buy a lot of knotless tapered leaders but I also hand tie some as well. Both work well for me.

Knotless but extend the life of them by adding additional line when they break. I just bought a "fast tie tool", no more surgeon knots. I should of bought this tool years ago. LOVE it.

I use either Orvis braided leaders or Thread furled They both are damn near indestructable and handle the flies I fish nicely. No hinging and have plenty shock absorbance . I have recently tried furling my own out of chameleon and they work pretty good as well. Although the twisting part of it can be frustrating and tedious .

I would have to see one being made to be able to do it. I am an old fart so sometimes I dont understand what I read. Would be nice to be able to make my own though would save me some money and being on a fixed income thats a good thing. Besides I like hell out of them. Do you make some in two colors? Like for nymphing?

You can add another color simply by running a single thread all the way around all the pegs after you lay out your leader. You can also tie another color onto the other color anywhere you like. The thread does not need to be continuous and any knots are pretty much unnoticeable.

Have tied Maixma for 40+ years, have followed Joe Brooks and Tom Nixon's recipes but now build them closer to George Harvey's recipe.

Can build or modify one any where to suit the fly and conditions.

Went through a spell of trying knotless leaders and found one I really liked; if I bought it in a large tippet size then cut a couple feet off the butt of it before attaching it and adding tippet to suit the fly. But they quit selling that brand/type and I never found another knotless leader that I liked, always ended by cutting and knotting, so back to Maxima.

I must not fish as hard as most of you because my diy leaders last a year or two sometimes.

I built a furled leader jig 8 or 10 years ago. Love em, when making a mono leader I start with 2lb test line. I have made them with 10lb test. When finished I have 22 strands in the but section. They turn over so easy.

I have made them from UTC 140 denier tying thread in olive. I have cut the thread at the tippet end and tied on orange to act as an indicator. Made the "turn" on the jig and went back to olive.

I normally use the thread leaders on bamboo rods.

Like rstaight, built a jig some years ago. I mainly use mono, either 2 lb or 4 lb. I have a few thread leaders but generally use mono. I adapted my jig by extensions and movable pegs so I can do a 5', 8', 12' or 15'. I use the 8' more than the 5' while the 12' and 15' leaders are primarily for my Tenkara rods. I put about 4 or 5' of tippet on. Different ways to add colors, depending on what you want, although I haven't used a 2 color for quite some time.

I am in that small group that likes to tie leaders, and I have also done a few furled leaders. Both work well for me, and I no longer have my furling setup. Salt water leaders are pretty basic with just three sections. Most of my trout leaders are up to 9 or 10 sections including the tippet. I use I rather involved formula that i read in (I believe,) Fly Fisherman magazine years ago. Once I set up a set of section lengths for any length leader, I wrote them on a card and saved them I can start with any diameter butt sections that works with the line size. Then each section is .002" smaller in diameter.

I now have set up a spread sheet that does all the calculations for me. I just plug in the leader length and starting diameter, and the spreadsheet does the rest.

I even went so far as to calculate the cost to build my leaders. None of my leaders costs exceed 20 cents for a 10' leader. They all use Fluorocarbon for all sections from 10# on down. I use mono for the thicker sections. I buy large 600 yard spools of fishing line to make the sections.

Down here in Florida, you can't even buy leaders that are "trout" sized. Rather than buy on the Internet, or pay for leaders when I go, I make mine up in advance. I then give away any left over leaders when my trips are done. Next season, I make fresh ones.