Fly Tying

Ok, just ordered 1000 fmj (bullets) 9mm from Delta. Should be here late next week. So should be reloading my first batch late next week. Hopefully this goes well.

omlYRe1.jpg

Well it did not take more than de-priming / resizing about two doz rds for me to realize the value of having a primer catcher 😑 This press didn't have one so them damn lil' sobs were just scooting all over the floor. So I went online and was able to track down a .stl file for a primer catcher that fits the RCBS jr2/3 presses. Printed that out, hooked a hose to it and ran that into a little bin. Much better now.

o2xoC4j.jpg

Well happy to say I just finished my first ever batch of reloads. And to think it only took 3hrs to do 50rds 😆 Admittedly I was going VERY slow and quadruple checking every single step of the way just because I was trying to be extra careful. So I'm sure once I get a few more batches under my belt it will go a lot faster then once I get more comfortable with the process.

Loaded a batch of 50 9mm, 115g Delta Precision bullets, with 5.8gn of HS-6 and Winchester primers. The loads for these say 5.7 as a low load and 6.6 as the max. So I figured 5.8 would be a good starting batch so that they were not overcharged if I did somehow have an issue with an inconsistent load. Which I am sure I didn't with how much I was checking, but I figure better safe than sorry. Will find out how they shoot probably tomorrow.

Did another batch of 50 tonight. This time doing 5.9gr loads. Went much faster this 2nd go'round. I was still double checking more than a normal/seasoned reloader would, but managed to get this batch of 50 done in about an hour.

1 hour ago, cencalfly said:

Also, IMHO I would hope a seasoned experienced reloader would treat their craft/hobby with such respect that checking often is part of the process.  Remember it's not fly tying. Not difficult but does have a higher level oops factor.  Decorating a tree or missing a hookup vs (at a minimum) wrecking a costly investment.  Not many people have been maimed or equipment destroyed from a mistake made in fly tying  Booms suck when not intended.

Oh I will still check even once I get more experience, I know that is all part of the process of safe reloading. But I think you misunderstood what I meant. What I meant was right now being brand new my fear of really screwing up right off the bat has me checking probably a LOT more often than needed. Basically to the point of wasting time checking things I have already checked, when I don't need to do so multiple times. Such as every single round after I seat I am checking COL...then even after crimping I check COL again..why? dunno lol 😑 I know that's not needed with every rd that comes off after seating because the die is locked down, but I'm just still a bit fearful I may screw up something so checking more than I'm sure an experienced reloader would deem necessary still, just to error on the side of caution.

Oh BTW I also picked up some .223 dies today. Found a guy that had a set of three .223 dies, two boxes of new Sierra bullets, 300 once fired .223 brass, 80rds of brand new Federal .223, and two ar mags for $75 so couldn't pass that up. So got my dies for the .223 now so I can hopefully start loading that soon once I pick up a case trimmer and couple other things for that.

Well I am beyond happy with my reloads. Just got back from the range and shoot 100 of my first ever reloads. The first 10 were very nerve wracking lol. Was worried I may not have done it right and was waiting to lose a finger so my aim was shaking all over the place for the first 10 rds. The red X's are the first 10 shots as you can tell. Then after 10 rods I knew they were done right and settled in and was very comfortable with shooting them. So the other 90rds went pretty much dead center mass. I honestly feel like my grouping was much better with my own reloads over factory ammo. Now that I know they work properly I'll be loading up the next 900 rds over the next couple weeks.

dnhBBeN.jpg

It’s just like fly tying, the hardest part is getting started. You will find there’s no need to be double and triple checking your every move. After loading the powder a quick glance will let you know if you double charged it. Just get into a routine, stick to that routine and don’t deviate from that routine and you will have no issues. 

i would load 5 cases with a set amount of powder and up the powder a grain or so every 5 cases while keeping keeping track of what each were. I would also try different powders. I would then shoot those rounds off a sand bag to determine the most accurate load for each gun. Once that’s was determined that’s what I would load up on. 

good job! 

Thanks Greg. Today I shot 50rds loaded at 5.7gn with a COL of 1.155 and 50rds of 5.9gn with COL of 1.155

I liked the way they shot, but there was a tad more smoke than I am use too. After talking to a friend that reloads he said that may be because it's not shooting clean due to maybe a slightly low chamber pressure. So I am thinking of doing the next batch at 6gn and seating the bullet at 1.145 which would raise the pressure a tad.

Question...do you know is there any data, formula, chart or anything that would show the correlation of chamber pressure to bullet seat depth (COL)? That's something I can't find anywhere. Or is it just a trial and error do it by very small amounts type thing till it seems/feels right?

Not that I’m aware of. What’s important about bullet seating is where that bullet engages the barrel rifling when the round is seated in the chamber. To far from the rifling (bullet set to deep in case) and to far in (bullet not set deep enough) will cause inconsistent accuracy. It has to be set just right. Your powder smoking more then your use to is common with reloading. If it’s smoking it’s burning clean. Pressure does not ignite gun powder, spark and heat do. Pressure is built by rapidly burning powder producing a gas that builds the pressure needed to expel a bullet. So adjusting pressure will not make powder burn better or worse it will just make the bullet expel better or worse. 

15 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

If it’s smoking it’s burning clean.

Really? ok, I thought that was the opposite then.

I tested my COL, in my PSA DAgger (Glock 19 Clone) I did the "plunk test" for every round. At 1.155 98 out of 100 rds were fine. They all plunked and spun ...but two rds that "plunked" just didn't spin as free as the other 98. So that's why I am thinking of reducing the COL from 1.155 to 1.145...think that may be a good idea or??

Just new to this so trying to soak in all exp info I can :)

Seating it lower will certainly increase pressure if that’s what you want to do, it just won’t help the powder burn with less smoke.  I concern myself with making sure the bullet fits in the magazine and fits in the chamber. Can’t help you on measuring or adjusting for pressure by bullet seating depth. I would think it’s easier to adjust pressure by adjusting the amount of powder. 

Put 150 rds down range today. I think I am happy and found my load I like now. I did 50 rds of the 5.9gr 1.155 COL. Then 100 rds 6.1gr 1.140COL. The 6.1gr 1.140COL shot pretty clean with no extra smoke, had the same recoil that I'm use to with Blazer brass, and was very accurate. Think that will be my normal everyday target rd I will stick with now.

The reloading has been going really well. Been doing about 50-100rds every day lately. Got about 900rds on the shelf now so nice to have a little cushion there for range time. Just got another 1000 brass the other day. Found the joys of crimped primers as well 😆 In the 1000rds of once fired brass I would come to one every once in a while that was a real bitch to decap/resize. Told my buddy about it and he said yup probably crimped primers in the case. I looked at the headstamps and the ones that are giving me issues were some military brass so they are crimped. Not a huge deal, just takes a bit more pressure to pop them out and then I quickly ream them a tad and new primers go right in. But had me wondering what was going on at first for sure before I learned about crimped primers.

Already almost out of the 1lb of powder and down to my last 200 primers. Gonna have to run out to BPS next weekend and see if I can snag some powder. Then online for primers since they are out of stock everywhere due to the shortage. I found where I can get them online, but I hate paying the price they want, plus the damn shipping/hazmat fee as well.

Also found another use for the brass tumbler. I pulled the trigger apart on the PSA Dagger this evening. Took the connector and the bar and I tumbled them in my brass tumbler for about 2hrs to polish them up. Got it back together and definitely made for a smoother trigger pull and break.

QhZwMNn.jpg

sMC7SxX.jpg