Fly Tying
Woodenlegs

Crustaceans Swap - Closed

I’ve had a tyer that has had to pull out due to medical reasons. 
if anyone wants to jump in is all good except the due date is still the same

Woodenlegs

Ok guys I missed up Skeet3t wasn’t signing up so there’s 9 tyers counting me due to the one person medical condition and Skeet3t out

sorry

all flies will go to the Pony Express on Monday 

thanks to all whom participated.      Woodenlegs

Got a great bunch of flies in mail today. Thanks to all and pegleg for running a swap with some quality flies for the box. With where he lives you'd know scuds would be a prime fly for him and the soft hackles coming from the other swap would make for a good days fishing on the White.

Nick

Flies arrived in fine condition.  Really enjoyed seeing the different patterns in this collection.  Thanks to each of you.  

2 hours ago, fishingbobnelson said:

Apparently, mine didn't make the photo shoot...

I think these we’re yours sorry 

2E34E47F-ED81-41C0-9961-1553E2E450C1.jpeg

wwkimba, your misys shrimp brings back some great memories. Myself and 2 friends fished out of Grand Marais in a tournament on Lake Superior. North of Grand Marais was solid fog and most boats avoided it. I drove through it with careful watch of locator and Loran (pre GPS). Using timed run we soon hit the discolored water coming out of the MN Brule River. We set up and immediately began catching fish. Trying to set up the 6 legal lines became futile with action going crazy. I was on the radio with some of the other boats and calling out fish on about every 5 minutes or so. Throwing them in the cooler it soon became apparent they were stuffed with mysis shrimp that brought them in big schools. Within a few hours we had all the other boats calling BS on our fish and wanted to know where we were of course. When we headed back for the weigh in we had all the boats and half the town waiting to see if we were BSing or hit them like that. When we asked some guys on dock to help with the coolers this raised some eyebrows. When we got them to the table we had our legal limit of 30 coho, several kings, something like 5 each of steelhead and lakers.

Took home some money and prizes and had people wanting to pay to tell them where we were, which I never did. I still find it hard to believe that mysis shrimp can become so thick it brings in huge schools of big fish but every time we pulled a line from outrigger, shallow downriggers, or flat lines the line would be slimey with shrimp. I chartered and fished the big lake for years when living up there and never ran into anything quite like again. Fished off the mouth of some of the rivers running into Superior on the  WI penisula near Washburn WI where my folks lived and often found mysis in fish caught of the mouth of the rivers on streamers we threw on our long rods. Yep, your fly sure brought back some great memories of the days we spent on Lake Superior running charters and just having family fun and camping on Isle Royale and the Apostle Islands. Sorry this is totally off subject but mysis caused the flashbacks. 

Isle Royale.JPG

SCAN0002 (2).JPG