Fly Tying
DFoster

Scraps 'n Bits

I'm curious what we all do with the still usable scraps and bits left over from a fly?  Do you toss them or have some type of system to keep the leftovers for next time?  I've been using a couple of small craft store divided boxes to keep anything I think I can use on a future fly.  Generally this ends up being remainders of hackles, saddles and the ends of wire, tinsel and flash in still usable lengths.   I try too keep similar odds and ends together.   When I sit down to tie I look over the scrap boxes to see if I have any of the pieces required in the scrap box first, before getting into my materials chest.    I try to keep waste to a minimum these days mostly because some once common materials are not always available at the local shops.   

IMG_2911.thumb.JPG.6341bf6c1ec3359a89b2f04801448bf5.JPG

IMG_2914.thumb.JPG.006dd665d30c0d25f5778b08a86f1206.JPG

I've started applying to fly tying waste the same rule I use for scrap lumber when woodworking: before I'm allowed to save it, I have to be able to verbalize exactly what I will use that scrap for, and when I will use it. If I can't supply a solid answer to those two questions, it goes in the trash or (for scrap wood) the firewood bin. If I start saving things based on the premise that I might use it for something, someday, I'll be drowning in scraps before I know it. 

my scraps go in a plastic butter tub and when full it goes in the weekly trash bin

i'm not serious enough and i'm too lazy to sort miniature bits and pieces

saving a 1/2 piece of tinsel/wire for what?

scraps.JPG

its like keeping a fly fishing journal. its cool the first few entries and after that you forget to continue

or creating a tying material inventory. another waste of my time

2 hours ago, flytire said:

my scraps go in a plastic butter tub and when full it goes in the weekly trash bin

scraps.JPG

You're scrap tub reminds me of when Lefty Kreh came to a fundraiser and tied a Lefty's Deceiver. The club auctioned off the fly which was mounted along with a signed autograph by Lefty to authenticate the fly.

The club also collected the trimmings from Lefty tying his Deceiver and put the trimming in a Ziplock bag that Lefty also autographed. The club auctioned off the trimmings!!!!

I think it brought in about $30 and that was many many years ago.

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

You're scrap tub reminds me of when Lefty Kreh came to a fundraiser and tied a Lefty's Deceiver. The club auctioned off the fly which was mounted along with a signed autograph by Lefty to authenticate the fly.

The club also collected the trimmings from Lefty tying his Deceiver and put the trimming in a Ziplock bag that Lefty also autographed. The club auctioned off the trimmings!!!!

I think it brought in about $30 and that was many many years ago.

Personality cult. Bet they would've auctioned his toenail clippings and beard trimmings if they'd had them available. 

I do this, but not nearly as neatly as you.  Similar scraps get put into clear, plastic, stackable cups that sit like a see-thru tower of trash on my desk.  

6 hours ago, flytire said:

saving a 1/2 piece of tinsel/wire for what?

For when you only need a 1/2 piece of tinsel or wire, of course.  

sometimes I just start tying scraps on hooks but typically my  system is to just throw it on my portable desk and than throw it in the trash when I come to my senses and say, what the hell am I saving all this crap for. Except that wood duck flank. I’ll use that for tails on something and those brushes, I’ll tie a baitfish or something small with them. That twisted wire, I don’t know but I better hold on to it for a while longer. 

0FC66E59-9EE5-4230-B354-B84B9EF78986.jpeg

I may be able to get 6-8 flies, depending, out of a group of materials but I often only have the time to tie 2.  Why throw the unused stuff away?  These days there is no guarantee that the local shop will have replacements hanging on the wall and ordering may result in a long wait.  It took 5 weeks for a Tacky Nymph box to reach my door from Feather Crafters even though they shipped it out the same day I placed the order.  The local Cabela's just got a shipment of natural peacock herl after a 5 months of empty peg board.

I ruin enough quality materials on my own while tying and I certainly feel better hoarding the nicer left over pieces in one of my scrap boxes. 😲

I save hackle tips,many times the sweet spot for the hackle i am using is in the middle and the tips are left ove.,Random pieces of tinsel and wire etc if they are long enough for another bug also go into the scrap box which is just a wood cigar box.Will likely never use most but it takes little effort to stash them.The little tips do make nice little wings on some patterns,

15 minutes ago, jcozzz said:

I save hackle tips

That is one of the things I don't throw out when I finally clean my desk, similar to the way @Poopdeck describes above. LOL.  

On 4/12/2022 at 8:15 PM, Poopdeck said:

sometimes I just start tying scraps on hooks but typically my  system is to just throw it on my portable desk and than throw it in the trash when I come to my senses and say, what the hell am I saving all this crap for. Except that wood duck flank. I’ll use that for tails on something and those brushes, I’ll tie a baitfish or something small with them. That twisted wire, I don’t know but I better hold on to it for a while longer. 

0FC66E59-9EE5-4230-B354-B84B9EF78986.jpeg

Love the magnetic tool holder!

@Poopdeck, 

I second that. Love the magnetic tool holder.  I'm thinking about redesigning my tool caddy next winter, after fishing season is over of course!  I'll be working that into the new version.

Brilliant!

The only scraps I save are wood duck.  I use the leftover fibers for tails and wing cases on nymphs.  There’s a dry fly I tie called The Spirit of Pittsford Mills.  It uses the downy fluff from a wood duck feather, so I keep the scraps for that fly as well.  I just put the scraps in a small ziplock bag.