Fly Tying
DFoster

Scraps 'n Bits

I'm one of the few here that only tie what I need, when I need it.  I don't tie a bunch of different patterns just for "fun".  So, any scraps left would never get used if I saved them. 

I have started, since seeing another members suggestion, putting the scraps in a "nesting material" ball we hang out for the birds.  So far, I've not seen any colorful nests as a result, but I'm looking forward to that outcome!

On 4/16/2022 at 10:24 AM, mikechell said:

I'm one of the few here that only tie what I need, when I need it.  I don't tie a bunch of different patterns just for "fun".  So, any scraps left would never get used if I saved them. 

I have started, since seeing another members suggestion, putting the scraps in a "nesting material" ball we hang out for the birds.  So far, I've not seen any colorful nests as a result, but I'm looking forward to that outcome!

My father in law has a wonderful tradition with our grandchildren (his great grand children).   Each spring he takes them around his farm on the tractor so they can clean out the last years nest from his many bird houses.  At the same time he has them hang dozens of 12" pieces of string in the nearby bushes that they cut from a spool .  "Two by fours for the birds" he tells them.  In their fall wanderings they're able to find many nest low in the trees that include their string.  The following spring's bird house clean out always reveals some of last years pieces.   It's a simple thing that produces great memories and they learn something about the natural world.  

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

My father in law has a wonderful tradition with our grandchildren (his great grand children).   Each spring he takes them around his farm on the tractor so they can clean out the last years nest from his many bird houses.  At the same time he has them hang dozens of 12" pieces of string in the nearby bushes that they cut from a spool .  "Two by fours for the birds" he tells them.  In their fall wanderings they're able to find many nest low in the trees that include their string.  The following spring's bird house clean out always reveals some of last years pieces.   It's a simple thing that produces great memories and they learn something about the natural world.  

That's an awesome story.  Thank you for sharing.  

On 4/12/2022 at 7:15 PM, Poopdeck said:

sometimes I just start tying scraps on hooks but typically my  system is to just throw it on my portable desk and than throw it in the trash when I come to my senses and say, what the hell am I saving all this crap for. Except that wood duck flank. I’ll use that for tails on something and those brushes, I’ll tie a baitfish or something small with them. That twisted wire, I don’t know but I better hold on to it for a while longer. 

0FC66E59-9EE5-4230-B354-B84B9EF78986.jpeg

Hey Poopdeck, you must be a skinny little fella! My belly would clean off your magnetic strip, when I first scooted up to the table to tie!

Ha! I suppose I’m more skinny then not. The vise overhangs the edge of the desk by about 6 inches.