Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Do you know what reel this fits?

I recently got a bunch of fly fishing stuff from an estate and in it was an extra spool for a reel that I did not get and I do not own.

Can you tell what reel it's for? It's a size 4-5-6 which is written on the inside flange near the gear. It has no other writing on it.

If you have a reel this fits, you are welcomed to it, just PM me.

DSCF6023.JPG

DSCF6027.JPG

DSCF6025.JPG

DSCF6024.JPG

Mark, it sort of looks like a spool my old Orvis Battenkill reels I had.., but I don't have the reels or a picture of one to confirm it.   I do remember that the 5 wgt reel had 4,5,6 on the inside of the spool.

Mark - For some reason I agree with Philly. It sure looks like Orvis spools I've seen in the past. Model????? - George

A long while back, Scientific Angler made a very similar reel.  Orvis reels usually had their name on the center button.  SA reels did not, and they were both made in England.

Utyer, may be right.  I can't remember if the Battenkill I had the Orvis logo on handle side of the reel, but it was 5/6.  There is a Scientific Angler 4/5/6 reel on e-bay that looks like a match for the spool you have.

Ah ha, I did see some Orvis reel that were very similar and didn't have an "Orvis" on the button. We're getting close. I'd just like to find it a good home because it's in such good condition. Never had line on it.

Thanks guys.

Don't believe SA ever made a single reel - but they did have other makers making reels with the Scientific Anglers logo on them - all those years ago.  Their first reels were actually Hardy Marquis reels, and as noted were made in England - and I had several sizes that I used hard... I moved up to a better grade of reel after a few years and never kept up with their model changes after those first years.  For me that was 1976 to 1979 if memory serves.

Tracing an old fly reel  spool with little or no markings at all on it is very tough since, around the world, there were manufacturers knocking off name brand reels as fast a discounters could sell them...  When you look at the copies you first see something that looks familiar but look at the materials it was made of and how well executed the design was you quickly realize it's a cheap copy - not the original at all... 

1 hour ago, Philly said:

Utyer, may be right.  I can't remember if the Battenkill I had the Orvis logo on handle side of the reel, but it was 5/6.  There is a Scientific Angler 4/5/6 reel on e-bay that looks like a match for the spool you have.

Thanks for the tip. I went to ebay, and I think you are right. it's the one. I didn't have a SA reel yet so I bought it. If the extra spool fits, and it should, I will have a new reel and an extra spool.

Thanks Philly and everybody, I knew this group would find it.