Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

Amethyst

My wife's birthday is in February, so I decided to tie her the Amethyst which is part of the R.B.M Series of Gem Salmon Flies. The pattern was published in J. H. Hale's "How To Tie Salmon Flies" published in 1930. The hook is a Ronn Lucas, Sr, 4/0 Phillip Jones.

My wife likes the fly and I hope you do as well. Of course her opinion is just a little biasedšŸ˜šŸ˜

George

DSC_0003_(25).JPG

Beautiful fly, @SalarMan!

What is the R.B.M. series? I found Hale's book, but it just references the series and doesn't explain what it is.Ā 

What material did you use for the body? Looks incredible. Golden pheasant on top, is the bottom strip of the wing turkey? Love the turkey underwing.

Thanks Medic3141...appreciate the compliment.

ActuallyĀ R.B.M. is all I know. I got the pattern from Mike Radencich's book of classic salmon fly patterns, and he sourced it from Hale's book. I think I will do a little research to see if I can find out what it means. My best guess is the letters stand for the originator of the flies...but only a guess.

The body material is "Kreinik Metallics" ribbon 1/8" wide. Because the original patterns call for various colors ofĀ celluloid for the body I used this as a sub. Mylar would approximate the celluloid, but I couldn't find purple anywhere.

The wing is as follows - Underwing: White Tipped Turkey...Main wing: Kori Bustard, Green, Red & Yellow Swan and Golden Pheasant Tail...Bronze Mallard over...Topping plusĀ Blue & Yellow Macaw Horns.

Thanks to everyone for your compliments as well!!!!!

The R.B.M. series ofĀ Gem Flies, are a set of 12 similar flies in Hale's book (2nd ed. 1919) that all use colored celluloid bodies. PerhapsĀ the first useĀ of synthetic materials in fishing flies (you flashabou folks got nothing on this...). I suspect R.B.M. is Mr. R. B. (Robert Bright)Ā Marston, editor of The Fishing Gazette, a very popular periodical of London from 1878 - 1927, since Hale thanks him in the preface of the 2nd edition book.Ā 

And nice tie, SalarMan!

Ā 

Ā 

18 hours ago, Ephemerella said:

The R.B.M. series ofĀ Gem Flies, are a set of 12 similar flies in Hale's book (2nd ed. 1919) that all use colored celluloid bodies. PerhapsĀ the first useĀ of synthetic materials in fishing flies (you flashabou folks got nothing on this...). I suspect R.B.M. is Mr. R. B. (Robert Bright)Ā Marston, editor of The Fishing Gazette, a very popular periodical of London from 1878 - 1927, since Hale thanks him in the preface of the 2nd edition book.Ā 

And nice tie, SalarMan!

Ā 

Ā 

Thank you for your research and insight on this. I finally did a little on my own, and have come to the conclusion you are spot on regarding this series of flies.

Thanks for the compliment too!!