Fly Tying
SBPatt

May Flies From The Vise

13 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Kim, how are you dubbing the antron?  Split thread, twisted,loop?

I find split thread is best with the harder synthetics.  I'll load long then trim - old, decrepit fingers!

Kim

Deer Hair Popper - This pattern was likely credited to Dr, Samuel E. Lewis from the Kalamazoo, MI area and was first tied in the 1950's.  He had a cabin on the Jordon River and fished this pattern during mayfly hatches during the spinner phase.  It is also a good panfish/bass pattern.  It is a 2X2 layered pattern in that it only uses 1 clump of deer hair and a brown hackle.  The hair is applied by tying down the clump with the tips toward the tail, fold the hair forward and tie down then tie the hair back towards the tail and tie at the back.  If measured correctly in the beginning, you should end up with the tips 1 shank length long as the tail - i.e., start with the deer hair cut at about 4 shank lengths long in the beginning.  A pretty simple tie IF you get the hair measure correctly.

1149411554_DeerHairPopper.thumb.jpg.dd086563582a7416ae153ea982514e16.jpg

Hook - Mustad 94840 or 94833, 10-14

Thread - black

Tail/body/shellback - clump of 20-30 deer hairs, stacked, measured and tied as described in the opening paragraph

Hackle - brown

Grillos’ Later Skater (variation) II

52083906662_3cfa4fc3aa_c.jpg

52083906597_2e7b2dbb10_c.jpg

52083906577_efbcbc1aa5_c.jpg

hook - circle hook #6
thread - Danville flatwaxed fluoro green 
abdomen - medium tinsel chartreuse
overbody/head - 2mm foam lemon ice
underwing - Congo Hair shiner tan
wing - deer hair
indicator - Parapost yarn hot orange 
thorax - Starburst dubbing insect green 
legs - medium rubber barred chartreuse 
hackle - grizzly dyed chartreuse (2 Tsp Rit Lemon Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Neon Green/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Feather-Duster-Nymph-1080.jpg

Feather Duster Nymph

Hooks - MUSR72, TMC5262, DAI1710 or equivalent, sizes 8-12

Thread - Brown

Tail - Barred imitation lemon wood duck barbs

Ribbing - Fine gold wire

Body - Brown ostrich herl

Wing case - Mottled brown Hungarian partridge barbs tied in at the head and extending over the thorax

Legs - Mottled brown Hungarian partridge barbs tied divided beard-style or collar

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Ginger-Quill-Emerger-1080.jpg

Ginger Quill Emerger 

Hooks - TMC3769, DAI 1550 or equivalent, sizes 12-18 

Thread - Tan

Tail - Ginger hackle barbs

Ribbing - Fine gold wire reverse wrapped

Body - Light stripped peacock quill

Legs - Ginger hackle barbs tied beard-style 

Budding Wing case - Small loop of light brown poly yarn

I'm headed down to the Outer Banks in September and will be fishing with a buddy for Reds and Trout. IN NC and a lot of other places, folks Use a Pop N Cork,which is an elongated bobber with a concave face and rattles inside. Normally a shrimp or a shrimp soft bait is fished a couple feet behind the cork,very similar to a dropper rig for Trout.

I was tying some poppers to use and had an idea. I'm sure this has been done before,but my thought process kinda "Went there".

I looped some mono like I do on some subsurface Bass flies I tie. I added several copper beads and tied the mono loop in at the eye. I superglued part of the loop into the front end of the popper and squeezed the foam shut. This gives me a popper that not only makes noise in the water,but gives off clicks like shrimp moving in the water. I'll drag a dropper fly like a Redfish Crack flies,which I have already tied up. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Popper.jpg

On 5/17/2022 at 4:54 PM, primeflycompany said:

tried deleting the photos from March

Just FYI ... two ways to do this on a computer.

1)  Click "edit" at the bottom of the post and delete the attachments before "saving" the post.

2)  Click on your name at the top of the page.  Open the "My attachments" tab and delete any photos you no longer want on the site.  This will remove them from your attachments file and from any posts they are on.

I don't know if this works the same on a smart-phone, as I don't use my stupid-phone for internet stuff.

3 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

I'm headed down to the Outer Banks in September and will be fishing with a buddy for Reds and Trout. IN NC and a lot of other places, folks Use a Pop N Cork,which is an elongated bobber with a concave face and rattles inside. Normally a shrimp or a shrimp soft bait is fished a couple feet behind the cork,very similar to a dropper rig for Trout.

I was tying some poppers to use and had an idea. I'm sure this has been done before,but my thought process kinda "Went there".

I looped some mono like I do on some subsurface Bass flies I tie. I added several copper beads and tied the mono loop in at the eye. I superglued part of the loop into the front end of the popper and squeezed the foam shut. This gives me a popper that not only makes noise in the water,but gives off clicks like shrimp moving in the water. I'll drag a dropper fly like a Redfish Crack flies,which I have already tied up. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I’ve never seen it done with poppers but its done with streamers that I believe is referred to as belly scratchers. I think it’s done more to get the hook point riding up instead of noise making but your thinking seems very logical. Please let us know how it works. 

6 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I’ve never seen it done with poppers but its done with streamers that I believe is referred to as belly scratchers. I think it’s done more to get the hook point riding up instead of noise making but your thinking seems very logical. Please let us know how it works. 

skip to about the 1:00 Minute mark to see how these Pop N Cork works. This is kind of what I had in mind

If that doesn't make enough noise, I have seen rattles made from bb's in a .22 casing with the opening covered.  I don't remember what he covered the opening with.  Then bury in the popper or tie above the rear hook.

Kaufmann’s Foamulator (variation)

52086658540_22437aef37_c.jpg

52086158656_7a2320e683_c.jpg

52086158736_d46aa876a8_c.jpg

52086158611_c9d10a5242_c.jpg

52085125512_ddce9b5b55_c.jpg

Made a few modifications to Charlie Craven’s version, mainly in the underwing. Great thing about this fly is, with all the foam for buoyancy, you don’t need to use your best hackle (the grizzly was a webby saddle which, while not adding much to floatation, looks pretty buggy).

hook - Dai Riki 730 #8
thread - Uni 6/0 tan 
tag - Orvis saltwater thread fluoro orange/resin 
tail - deer hair 
rib - xsmall wire gold
abdomen - Starburst dubbing tan 
body hackle - ginger (undersize by 2) 
overbody/head - 2mm foam tan
underwing - Congo Hair shiner tan
wing - deer hair
indicator - Parapost yarn hot orange 
thorax - Ice Dub hot orange 
legs - medium rubber cornsnake 
hackle - grizzly

Regards,
Scott

Dorato-s-Hares-Ear-Nymph-1080.jpg

Dorato's Hare's Ear Nymph

Hooks - TMC3769, DAI1550 or equivalent, sizes 8-14

Weight - Lead free wire (optional)

Thread - Brown

Tail - Grizzly hackle barbs

Body - Dubbed with hare's mask fur

Legs - Grizzly hackle barbs tied in as a beard

Wing case - Barred imitation lemon wood duck barbs tied in at the head and extending over the thorax

Bill Dorato originated this pattern.

EDSON TIGER

HOOK: #10 2XL HEAVY WIRE.

THREAD: #70 BLACK

TAIL: BARRED WOOD DUCK

ABDOMEN/BODY: PEACOCK HERL- NATURAL

UNDERWING:  BUCK TAIL - YELLOW

OVER WING: HEN FIBERS - RED

HEAD: S.H. HARD AS NAILS   

1536843699_EDSONTIGER.thumb.PNG.ba49b80de440df91fcafa01f390b0d72.PNG

Lingren-s-Dark-Nymph-1080.jpg