Fly Tying

The Royal Wulff is one of those flies that seems like its just to pretty to work properly.  However this fly works great!  There is a lot going on, like what the heck is that red stripe in the middle of peacock?  And why the wings the way they are?  Well I have heard this fly mimics a red flying ant, which makes sense.  These ants usually are bright red and also black.  I should know, ive been bit by them many times before.  Some species come with red bodies and black heads, and some with red heads and black bodies.  Either way, the coloration of this fly I think is trying to mimic this on the ants.  

No matter what this really resembles, for some reason it works wonders on small creeks in the summer months.  In fact it was one of the top producing flies for me on one of my videos when I was fishing in New Mexico with a subscriber of mine.  If you guys haven't checked out that video, go do so. https://youtu.be/zPkmS0ugGCI.  Anyway I used this fly there and it did very well.  And other rivers as well during the heat of summer this fly did amazing as well.   It really is a great producer.  

Now, many find tying with calf fur to be a pain.  I dont blame them.  Its hard to work with.  I have used some synthetic material for the wings as well in the past.  I hear on larger sized wulff's some people choose to use white deer hair also.  Its up to you, just make sure its white as it will keep the look to this fly. 

https://youtu.be/ZHC65LFUWrQ

Materials
Tail:  Moose Body Hair
Abdomen:  Peacock Hurl 
Abdomen Accent:  Veevus 140 (red)
Hackle:  Whiting Dry Fly Saddle (coachman brown/size 14)
Head Cement:  Solarez Ultra Thin

Am I blocked or anything for some reason?  It’s worked in the past for me.  Every time now, no matter what I do it won’t work.  

11 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

Am I blocked or anything for some reason?

I can't really speak to that, but I would highly doubt it. 

As much as I enjoy this forum, it just gets wonky sometimes.  My son told me the name for these inexplicable cyberspace things, I can't think of it right now, some kind of anagram.  I usually chalk these frustrating things up to that.  

EDIT: It just happened as I was trying to post my response.  I somehow got logged off the site - so it goes.    

23 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

The Royal Wulff is one of those flies that seems like its just to pretty to work properly.  However this fly works great!  There is a lot going on, like what the heck is that red stripe in the middle of peacock?  And why the wings the way they are?  Well I have heard this fly mimics a red flying ant, which makes sense.  These ants usually are bright red and also black.  I should know, ive been bit by them many times before.  Some species come with red bodies and black heads, and some with red heads and black bodies.  Either way, the coloration of this fly I think is trying to mimic this on the ants.  

No matter what this really resembles, for some reason it works wonders on small creeks in the summer months.  In fact it was one of the top producing flies for me on one of my videos when I was fishing in New Mexico with a subscriber of mine.  If you guys haven't checked out that video, go do so. https://youtu.be/zPkmS0ugGCI.  Anyway I used this fly there and it did very well.  And other rivers as well during the heat of summer this fly did amazing as well.   It really is a great producer.  

Now, many find tying with calf fur to be a pain.  I dont blame them.  Its hard to work with.  I have used some synthetic material for the wings as well in the past.  I hear on larger sized wulff's some people choose to use white deer hair also.  Its up to you, just make sure its white as it will keep the look to this fly. 

https://youtu.be/ZHC65LFUWrQ

Materials
Tail:  Moose Body Hair
Abdomen:  Peacock Hurl 
Abdomen Accent:  Veevus 140 (red)
Hackle:  Whiting Dry Fly Saddle (coachman brown/size 14)
Head Cement:  Solarez Ultra Thin

My personal best ever Rainbow came on a #14 Royal Wulff and my last Bow of 2021 came on a Royal Coachman winged wet  I always carry carry a selection of Royal Wulff's and Coachmen dries and wets.   IMO the Coachman's/Wulffs are part of the "Fly Perfection Club", along with the elk hair caddis, the pheasant tail nymph, The hare's ear, Stewarts black spider, the partridge and orange, the Adams and the wooly bugger.   All of who just work anywhere in the world they are used.

As far as I know, you're not hindered in any way from any of us.   Usually, the fix is to go in and clear your browser caches.  Not saying that will work in this case, but it's a common fix for online issues.

The other thing is, like my experience, turn the computer off if it hasn't been in a long time.  Often, they need to cycle off/on to activate program updates.

All that said, I don't know id MACs are the same, as I've never had one.

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

As far as I know, you're not hindered in any way from any of us.   Usually, the fix is to go in and clear your browser caches.  Not saying that will work in this case, but it's a common fix for online issues.

The other thing is, like my experience, turn the computer off if it hasn't been in a long time.  Often, they need to cycle off/on to activate program updates.

All that said, I don't know id MACs are the same, as I've never had one.

Restarting a Mac is a good idea to resolve issues. 

Macs are easier to operate than PCs and more stable in my opinion since Apple makes both the hardware and software. Windows has to deal with all manufacturers.