Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adams

Tri-lobal yarn question

I was planning on tying a bunch of deep sparkle pupas. I picked up an assortment of yarns (clearly labeled Tri-lobal yarn -- I'll omit the manufacturer's name for now) in the colors I needed.

This weekend, my daughter was playing with her microscope. So being the geek I am, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the tri-lobal fibers under magnification to see what they looked like. At 100X, they sure as hell looked round to me.

So I compared that yarn to some plain antron I had. The antron definitely looked different from the stuff labeled "trilobal". You can clearly see a line running along the center of each antron fiber (parallel to the outside of the fiber), which I presume is the point of the triangle. Very few of the yarns labeled "trilobal" looked that way -- most sure looked round.

If I remember my Caddisflies correctly, LaFontaine believed that the tri-lobal shape of the yarn really helped reflect light and added to the effectiveness of the pattern.

So do you think the stuff I picked up is suitable for sparkle pupas?

Adams

Ive never seen a fish looking thru a microscope and saying that aint trilobal I aint gonna eat it. dunno.gif

Since you bought all that yarn, go ahead and try it out.

biggrin.gif

Adams,

I have done exactly the same microscope observation. Most of the yarn labeled as Antron is really sparkle yarn, that is round in cross section with a mix of clear and dyed strands.

Gary also stated in his book the trilobal Antron had the ability to hold bubbles on the yarn surface due to the flats on the trilobal shape. He did a considerable amount of underwater scuba observation of the naturals and various imitations, the Antron material really stood out. He then had a university lab test the Antron yarn under high magnification and it clearly showed the trilobal shape.

The popular Aunt Lydias brand and most of the Fly Shops brands are not Antron.

I believe the original Dupont Antron that Gary tested is long discontinued and only a few shops have some of the old stock available.

Do the sparkle yarn non Antrons work, yes of course they will catch fish,,,,, are they the same,,,,no just compare them side by side in a small aquarium with overhead light and some magnification.

Regards,

Fred Krow

Thanks for the comments.

Addict -- I should have just gone to the bookmailer, but I do like to support my local fly shop too.

FKROW -- it must just be plain sparkle yarn. But I sure can get plain old sparkle yarn cheaper. . .When I get time, I plan on comparing the material to the pile of Aunt Lydias and Dazzelaire that I use in saltwater patterns and in dubbing. The material in questions was as you describe -- round cross-sections with a mixture of clear and dyed fibers.

flytire -- I do plan on using it, but I thought that since the company selling it actually labeled it trilobal and used LaFontaine's name, that it would be as represented. Will fish eat 'um -- probably, but LaFontaine did quite a bit of underwater research to document the effectiveness of trilobal antron, and I sure am not in a position to take issue with his conclusions.

I recall years back that Gary hosted a swap of his patterns on the Virtual Flyswap page, and he commented that many people were not using the correct materials (but the issue there, I think, was that most did not have the mix of clear fibers as well). I believe that Gary even sent out some of the correct antron to all the swap participants. Sad to say I missed the opportunity to participate in that swap.

Thanks again.

Adams