Fly Tying
flytire

Over the Limit

If the officers don't donate the fish to a food pantry, then they should let'um sit outside until the [alleged] poacher's court date, and dump them on the defendants table in court. I'm guessing the guilty plea will come shortly after...

True story.

We had a local notorious poacher who was finally caught by the Wisconsin DNR and given hard "time" in prison.

In his freezer they found that he had killed a whooping crane which was endangered. There were also deer he had taken out of season as well but it was the whooping crane and that really got him into trouble. He also had his 12 yo son shine and shoot deer out of season.

He was asked by a DNR warden what the whooping crane tasted like and he said "Like Bald Eagle."

"called on the commission to impose lifetime fishing bans on those who were cited for excessive over-limits"

What would the commission do? Not sell them a license?  I would think that if you have no compunction about going over the limit by that many fish, you'd have no compunction about fishing without a license.  You'd just take better care to not get caught.

10 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

True story.

He was asked by a DNR warden what the whooping crane tasted like and he said "Like Bald Eagle."

Yeah ... I was following your "true story" until the last line.  That's an old joke. 😉

1 hour ago, redietz said:

I would think that if you have no compunction about going over the limit by that many fish, you'd have no compunction about fishing without a license. 

I consider it theft since they're stealing from the environment.  Jail time ... at least a year.

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

I consider it theft since they're stealing from the environment.  Jail time ... at least a year.

I agree.

Ought oh it looks like we got us some morons disguised as sportsman.  Let me guess- after getting kicked out of the Chinese buffet for eating off the serving spoons they got bored with kicking over gravestones and so decided to go fishing!   If this was in Mass the state could confiscate every piece of fishing gear, the boat involved and whatever they towed to the water with and then fine them with a little jail time thrown in just to say thank you.

15 hours ago, DFoster said:

If this was in Mass the state could confiscate every piece of fishing gear, the boat involved and whatever they towed to the water with and then fine them with a little jail time thrown in just to say thank you.

Here in Maryland, they'd be fined $25 and have their licenses revoked for a year.  That's because penalties are set by the legislature rather than DNR, and the legislature doesn't think that poaching is a serious crime.

In 18th and 19th century England, poaching was punished by hanging or by transportation to Australia.  I see no reason to inflict our criminals on Australia.

5 hours ago, redietz said:

Here in Maryland, they'd be fined $25 and have their licenses revoked for a year.  That's because penalties are set by the legislature rather than DNR, and the legislature doesn't think that poaching is a serious crime.

In 18th and 19th century England, poaching was punished by hanging or by transportation to Australia.  I see no reason to inflict our criminals on Australia.

One does not steal the game of the Crown and live-

We have strong penalties in Mass as a result of our legislature pandering for votes from loud "environmental" groups.  The environazis see no distinction between a sportsman and a poacher.  To them we're all the same and so they aggressively supported more restrictions with tougher penalties back in the 90's.  Their stated endgame being a full ban on hunting and fishing, after all meat is murder🤣.   

The end result was that being tough on poaching made Massachusetts a better place to hunt and fish for legitimate law abiding sportsmen.  Um soooo thank you!