Fly Tying
DFoster

Lost Thomas & Thomas rod w/Bogdan Reel

This river is in my neck of the woods but I thought I would post it as an FYI.    Perhaps some one out there may come across it "for sale" out of the local area?  I'm hopeful the person that found it will have some integrity and make an effort to find this lady.  This is from a fly fishing blog here in central Mass.

Folks,

Read the two paragraphs below. Finding the lost rod and reel and returning them would get you a pass into Fly Fishing Heaven. If you find them send me an email ([email protected]) and I'll contact the owner. - Ken

"My name is (withheld). You guided me on the Millers back in 2019, and I've followed your blog ever since. I'm writing because I've recently (last night 5/20) lost a fly rod and reel, when I left it at the East Branch of the Ware in Princeton.  The rod is a Thomas and Thomas 8' 6 weight, and the reel is a Bogden.    They belonged to my late husband, so I'm attached to them beyond their actual value.

I'm hoping you might put in a word on your blog to anyone who may have picked them up and is looking to return them.   I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions - and I'm more than willing to pay a reward for their return."

Thanks - 

The correct name for the reel is Bogdan.

Here is the New Your Times obituary for Stanley Bogdan who made those reels.

I read about Bogdan and Seamaster reels back in the 1970s when the Bogdans were the finest reels for trout and salmon and the Seamaster made by Bob McChristian was the finest SaltWater Fly Reels. Seamaster Fly Reels at one time held over 90% of the IGFA salt water fly fishing records and Bob McChristian was the inventor of the backplate drag system for saltwater fly reels which used solid metal body of the reel as part of the drag and this allowed the entire metal body of of the reel to dissipate heat from the drag system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/sports/03bogdan.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_E._Bogdan

https://www.urbanangler.com/brands/seamaster/

DFoster ... I truly hope you get some results, and this lady's fly rod and reel are returned. 

Despite some people's desire to prove their superior intelligence, hopefully, who ever picked it up doesn't know it's worth and doesn't read this forum, learning about it's worth.

Its painful just reading about it.  

I daresay most folks who read a fly fishing and tying forum are already smart enough to know what they're worth.  

I have no idea who this lady is but I truly feel bad for her.  I would like to believe that most people who find something of value would have the integrity to at least make the attempt to return it.  Sadly given that she states she left the rod and reel on 5/20 it would seem that whoever found it intends to keep or sell it.  

Karma would like to remind everyone “Unless a reasonable attempt is made to locate the rightful owner, no good luck will ever come from the use of another’s lost fishing property or the sale proceeds of that property”.
I hope the finder chooses to do the right thing and spare themselves a lifetime of tangled tippets, hooks in the eye, West Nile Virus, Snapping turtle toe amputation, car accidents on the way to the water and or Sasquatch abduction.

17 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

The correct name for the reel is Bogdan.

Here is the New Your Times obituary for Stanley Bogdan who made those reels.

I read about Bogdan and Seamaster reels back in the 1970s when the Bogdans were the finest reels for trout and salmon and the Seamaster made by Bob McChristian was the finest SaltWater Fly Reels. Seamaster Fly Reels at one time held over 90% of the IGFA salt water fly fishing records and Bob McChristian was the inventor of the backplate drag system for saltwater fly reels which used solid metal body of the reel as part of the drag and this allowed the entire metal body of of the reel to dissipate heat from the drag system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/sports/03bogdan.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_E._Bogdan

https://www.urbanangler.com/brands/seamaster/

Thanks for clarifying that Silver.  I never new the name of those reels though I have seen them in on line photos on occasion.  They catch my eye as I own a Hardy Cascapedia and they look similar.   they are beautiful reels! 

Probably because of this line in the original post above ...

On 5/24/2022 at 12:46 PM, DFoster said:

I'm writing because I've recently (last night 5/20) lost a fly rod and reel ...

Seeing as how over 99% of marriages in the US are in fact man & women, common sense would dictate it is a woman. The PC arguments can be found on every corner of the internet, but politics &  PC crap have no place on this website, so do not try to interject them where they do not belong such as a post about trying to get someones lost gear back to them. That sort of reply ends here and now.

Thanks for that Steeldrifter. That needed to be said.

Les

Good news everyone the missing rod and reel found it's way home.  From Ken's blog-

Two weeks ago we posted a notice of a lost T&T flyrod and a lost Bogdan reel.  This blog has a good record of finding lost equipment but this was a special case. The rod/reel were the property of a woman's late husband and it had a ton of sentimental value. I also thought that the chance of reuniting this classic equipment were slim.  But good things do happen.  This morning I got an email from the owner that the rod/reel were returned and that she is very grateful to the local fly fishing community for spreading the word which resulted in this happy ending!  

Good news, in today's world, is rare.  This is a great story for a happy ending.  Thank you for the follow-up information.