Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Shmang

Color options for the Greenie Weenie?

I am working on a Terrestrial box and wanted to ask what other color options might I consider for the Greenie Weenie style fly?

I might be overthinking it in asking the questions but would a pink or tan or purple be as productive?  Ultra chenile is pretty cheap so acquiring a few other hues is not out of my realm if I need to think out of the box.

Your thoughts?  Thanks

I'd guess that any color that works for a mop fly would work.  The flies are not dissimilar.

OTOH, it can't very well be called a Green Weenie if it's not green, can it?

medium blue has been the best mop fly by far  for us in the midwest.    i recently got some shiny mops from another tyer. they came from amazon and a  3 piece bath matt set   they have been hot lately on a gold 1/64jighead.they are a gold tan and slightly longer than most mops

I was thinking of trying pink and tan, and maybe the medium blue the richme suggested above -- and purple patterns do well for me..

About the name thing I don't know if a Pink Weenie is a family friendly handle  ;)  

Here's a picture of my original box of small mop fly nymphs tied back in 2018 on size 12 hooks.  The green one has replaced  the Green Weenie in my fly box.

167586815_P4140198(2).thumb.JPG.9da35f718397d4e510b872682faac948.JPG

Green/Chartreuse has been the best producer.  It's a pretty good imitation of a Green Rock worm which are pretty common here in the NE.  It will also pass for a drowned/sunken green inch worm.

Red/Pink was second.  My best guess is they represent small aquatic worms

Not far behind were Olive, Black, Tan(not in the picture) and Grey.  I figure the olive, black and tan are good generic nymph imitations.  The grey, small Crane Fly larvae.  The orange and yellow didn't produce.

As far as the shiny pieces Rich mentions.  I got some, I think from him, in a mop piece swap we had a couple of years ago.  No luck with the silver at all.  No luck with the yellow or blue sub-surface.  However, they were deadly as floating mop flies for panfish and bass.  Yellow, Blue and Chartreuse are my top floating mop fly producers for panfish and bass. 

As far as "Green" weenie flies,   green/chartreuse as number one.   Red, pink, olive, black and gray, in no particular order.