Fly Tying
Chris_in_Louisiana

Golfo Dulce, Costa Rica

May was a busy month for me with plenty of work obligations, and a pair of big fishing trips on the docket.

The first, though not an official fishing trip (a mantra my wife made me repeat regularly), was a visit to Costa Rica the first week in May.

We rented a car, and spent the first half of the week doing the eco tour thing as we drove the pacific coast towards the southern part of the country.  Once there, we returned the car in Puerto Jimenez and hopped a boat to a small resort on Golfo Dulce.

No charters scheduled, I spent the majority of the next four days fishing from shore.  The one exception was a morning chasing schools of sardines with one of the maintenance men from the resort.  He was by no means a fly fisher, but more than familiar with the water and managed to put me on a few fish.  While I struck out on a few targets (Golden Trevally first among them), it was a fun trip with a fair bit of diversity landed.  Pics are below, but the three links have more detail for anyone interested.

Costa Rica - Part 1

Costa Rica - Part 2

Costa Rica - Part 3

Enjoy.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

img_5101-scaled.jpg

img_5180-scaled.jpg

img_5184-scaled.jpg

img_5304-scaled.jpg

img_5197-scaled.jpg

img_5426-scaled.jpg

img_5391-scaled.jpg

17 minutes ago, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

The first, though not an official fishing trip (a mantra my wife made me repeat regularly)

😅🤣

Looks like a real fun time Chris. That first fish is crazy lookin 😬

On 6/2/2022 at 9:22 AM, Steeldrifter said:

😅🤣

Looks like a real fun time Chris. That first fish is crazy lookin 😬

That would be a Stone Scorpionfish (Rockfish).  Perhaps the most disappoint, but cool bycatch ever.  Dropped my olive crab pattern into the midst of four small Golden Trevally that were actively feeding.  Watched my line go tight as the fish moved off.  Set the hook.  And somehow had that thing on the line.  Must have dropped the fly right on its head.

God, I hope you ate that Triggerfish. They are some kind of delicious!!!

Looks like an awesome trip

Believe it or not, both Triggerfish went back unharmed.  The tuna, pompano and a few mackerel I caught did make their way to the table, however, along with a large Mahi another guest landed on conventional gear.  With only six total guests at the resort during our visit, it was enough for a group dinner one evening.

41 minutes ago, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

That would be a Stone Scorpionfish (Rockfish).  Perhaps the most disappoint, but cool bycatch ever.  Dropped my olive crab pattern into the midst of four small Golden Trevally that were actively feeding.  Watched my line go tight as the fish moved off.  Set the hook.  And somehow had that thing on the line.  Must have dropped the fly right on its head.

Believe it or not, both Triggerfish went back unharmed.  The tuna, pompano and a few mackerel I caught did make their way to the table, however, along with a large Mahi another guest landed on conventional gear.  With only six total guests at the resort during our visit, it was enough for a group dinner one evening.

NOTHING wrong with any of those other species as table fare. My Mom used to make a triggerfish salad that I would kill for. Thats a strong fish as well

On 6/3/2022 at 4:08 PM, The Mad Duck said:

NOTHING wrong with any of those other species as table fare. My Mom used to make a triggerfish salad that I would kill for. Thats a strong fish as well

Oh man!  Trigger salad actually sounds really good!  Going to have to try that some day.