Fly Tying
Addict

parachutes

Hey all,

I'm in a love-hate relationship with parachute flies. I love to fish them but hate to tie them. wallbash.gif I was wondering if anyone has any tricks or tips for tying them. Do you prefer foam posts or natural? I want to improve my skills in this area of tying so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Addict

user posted image Do you have rotating hackle pliers? If not you should think about getting some. As for the posts, I use antron mostly. You should also try wrapping thread around the base of the post for re-enforcement. This is a Parahute Hopper I tied using rotating hackle pliers. gun_bandana.gif gunsmilie.gif

I tried foam posts about 3-4 years ago and fell in love. I think they really make the patterns more consistant and easier to tie. I use rainy's post foam. It is sold in single sizes or as a sampler pack that will cover 16-18 down to 6-8 size flies. I think the flies are probably slightly more expensive but they float and sit on the water better in my opinion.

Rougetrout- I'll have to look at some foam for posts. Rainy's shop is just a couple of miles away. Don't know if it's a straight mail order shop now though.

Blueman89- That’s a nice looking hopper. I have rotating hackle pliers but have never tried antron as a post.

The flies that I tie the most with parachutes are in the size range of 14-18. Will either of the materials listed work well? I usually have used calf tail which is a pain to work with. Also how do you tie in you post so that it doesn't add bulk to the body of the fly?

I use Rthier Hi-vis or calf tail for the posts on my flies. Like you I also love fishing parachute flies, makes the fly easy to see as the eyes get older, but hate tying them.

Blueman hit on a good tip, using rotating pliers makes it much easier to get the hackle wrapped around the post.

I'll second the vote on the swivel hackle pliers, I've always enjoyed fishing and tying parachutes and now that I have those most of the time I don't know what I did without them.

As far as materials go. I prefer to use natural but for ease of use I'd say go with a polywing like Hi Vis if you don't mind a little extra material waste. from time to time. With hi-vis you tie a much longer peice in for the wing so it's easier to hold onto when wrapping the thread on the post. Then just cut it down to length once your done.

Addict -- you have gotten some good tips so far. I too use a rotating pliers,and think it really helps. I think it is also very important to make sure that the base of the post is firm -- make sure you wrap a thread base on soft synthetics and calf tail. I like to add a drop of zap a gap to the post after the hackle is tied in to make it more durable.

I saw Dave Lucca demonstrate an interesting (and simple) hackling technique a few months ago. When he got ready to hackle the parachute, he just rotated the hook in the vise so that the post was horizontal, (hook eye and shank pointing down) and then he wrapped the hackle. His comment was that he is much more used to hackling flies in that plane, which made a significant difference. It was just a matter of simple spatial relations. . .

Adams

Addict,

You may know this already but when rapping the hackle on the post rap each successive rap under the last rap you did. This will help stabilize the post as you are tying and the hackle comes out much more even.

Charlie

I like Hi Vis also. I have also tried turkey flats, calf tail and mallard flank.

i always make sure to add a nice thread layer at the base as well as a small drop of head cement

I agree with Adams. I not only rotate the hook but also the entire vise so that the post is sitting in the exact same location and direction as the hook is normally. It makes a ton of difference, at least to me. It is much easier to place the wraps on more exacting than wrapping the hackle horizontally. I'll also place a drop of head cement on the thread-wrapped post and let it dry a minute or so before wrapping the hackle to make the post a little firmer.

Joe

Wow! Great posts guys! There is a lot of good information there.

Thanks for the pictures Blueman89 that helps a bunch. That definitely is not adding any bulk to a fly.

Adams- Do you just tie up a bunch of posts and zap them all? Or do you do each fly complete and just wait for it to dry?

Also how many wraps do you typically make with the hackle to make a good parachute?

Addict

So far Addict

you have got great information from these guys. I love tying parachutes. i can tie them faster and with more consistancy; they float better and seem to catch more fish.

My 2 cents worth.

I use Hi-Vis, I take half of the diam. I need. wrap it under the hook and pull it up on each side. a few x wraps and wind the thread uip the Hi-vis about1/16 inch. Cement the post base

Finish off the tail, the body to the hook eye, and finish the head.

Take the thread back to the post and tie in the hackle to the post. Wrap the post (again taking each wrap under the previous).

Take two or three wraps of thread around the post to tie off the hackle.

This is the best part (I got it from Oliver Edwards); Whip finish on the Hi-Vis post. Just take the thread through and under the hackle and trim

fast, easy, and no hassle

Conehead