Fly Tying
SalarMan

Computer Security

I have noticed when I look at a post of one of my fellow tyers, or respond to a comment of something I've posted, or reply to a private message the connection is NOT SECURE.

This posting is secure at this time but after I post it anyone who looks in will find that is not the case. Therefore my responses and involvement in the near term will be minimal or nothing at all.

Just thought you all should be aware of this.

Cheers,
George

Use a password that you don't mind anyone knowing. Right? Or is there some other meaningful risk to posting on here I'm unaware of?

Not secure connections are always a danger...no matter the site.

A huge of website are not "encrypted/secure" such as you are saying. In the 25 yrs we have been online this site has never had any issue with anyone having problems with it. But if you feel you only want to visit sites that pass your browser security check then that is up to you. Hope you find some sites that work for you.

Since my son works for Webroot, I get free Webroot SecureAnywhere for all my computers.

Webroot has a very small install code and it works differently than McAfee. To keep McAfee up to date, you have to keep installing updates because McAfee keeps the virus code on your computer and then McAfee runs its comparison program on your computer.

Webroot acts as a gatekeeper and intercepts everything that comes into your computer and sends it to Webroot's cloud. Webroot's cloud compare what you have received to see if contains viruses or damaging code and intercepts it. Then it sends the virus free data back to our computer. With high speed internet, you can't detect any delay.

https://cheekymunkey.co.uk/blog/better-webroot-mcafee/

10 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

A huge of website are not "encrypted/secure" such as you are saying. In the 25 yrs we have been online this site has never had any issue with anyone having problems with it. But if you feel you only want to visit sites that pass your browser security check then that is up to you. Hope you find some sites that work for you.

I love the site...but I am a little concerned about the security.

7 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

Since my son works for Webroot, I get free Webroot SecureAnywhere for all my computers.

Webroot has a very small install code and it works differently than McAfee. To keep McAfee up to date, you have to keep installing updates because McAfee keeps the virus code on your computer and then McAfee runs its comparison program on your computer.

Webroot acts as a gatekeeper and intercepts everything that comes into your computer and sends it to Webroot's cloud. Webroot's cloud compare what you have received to see if contains viruses or damaging code and intercepts it. Then it sends the virus free data back to our computer. With high speed internet, you can't detect any delay.

https://cheekymunkey.co.uk/blog/better-webroot-mcafee/

I do not have McAfee and never will. I've not had any issues...but I simple expressed concerns I thought members here might find of value.

Members here on this site have never had any issues,  but again, that is your call as to what security you feel a site needs for you to interact with it.

Webroot has never flagged this site.

I have clicked on some links and webroot warms me that there is malicious code on the site. Then I have to override Webroot to get ot the site if I want to get there.

I have McAfee and a bunch of passwords written in a code that I'm the only who can interpret them. Never had any problems. I don't care to get on unsecured sites.

ive been on this forum since 2004 and have never experienced a "NOT SECURE" situation

on other legitimate sties yes, here no

i wont worry about here

i use free windows defender and have never had any problems

Sometimes it is difficult to put on paper the meaning of one's words. My touching on the computer security thing was simply meant to let members know that was the case here and to be aware of the "Not secure" of some of the site's functions. My computer has all the right stuff for protection...anti-virus, firewall, malicious software removal tools, malware protection, etc, etc.

I strongly encourage everyone to make sure you have the same to safeguard your computer and this site as well.

I hope this makes more sense than what I said to begin with...because I sure ain't no techie.

Cheers,
George

The site is "Not Secure". This means anyone can come on the site and read what you posted. It does not mean anyone can get your password for the site. If you think "Secure" sites have any protection about what's read on the site they don't. Just don't come on this site and post you bank acc't #s or personal stuff. Just remember like any site, whether secure or not, unless it shows a "lock" in front of https: anything you type is open to public. This site is as safe as any other public shared sites.

I should add persons don't need a password to come on this site or any "Not Secure" but cannot post without a password. They come on as Read Only.

5 hours ago, vicrider said:

The site is "Not Secure". This means anyone can come on the site and read what you posted. It does not mean anyone can get your password for the site. If you think "Secure" sites have any protection about what's read on the site they don't. Just don't come on this site and post you bank acc't #s or personal stuff. Just remember like any site, whether secure or not, unless it shows a "lock" in front of https: anything you type is open to public. This site is as safe as any other public shared sites.

I should add persons don't need a password to come on this site or any "Not Secure" but cannot post without a password. They come on as Read Only.

Well I'm sorry I'm not a know-it-all about computers. I see "Not secure" and no closed padlock and I figure that's not a good thing.