Fly Tying
cencalfly

Tup's Dubbing Blend

The goat part might be actually easy. Other parts not so much maybe.  The Spaniel is ok but my median red Golden Retriever just got the best home brushing ever.  Meet Mr. G my best bud and dubbing material machine.

I'm researching and reading everything I can about this magical dubbing.  My Golden boy comes and tries to steal a patch of hair off my desk. He's a counter surfing crimanimal looking for me to chase him.  He liked the brushing. :)

Such a happy good doggo.

G Dog.jpg

G at Park 2.jpg

You really don't want the original dubbing blend for the Tup's Indispensible. A guy on another board had a friend of his send him the real thing. His wife was out of town and he took it into the kitchen to boil it and clean it good before cutting it up for dubbing. Even with all the Febreeze he could buy and days of open windows the smell was everywhere and his wife didn't talk to him for a month after she came home. Stick with the dog hair.

Good boy.  

I'd like to see your Tups dubbing blend when you finally get it.   

12 hours ago, cencalfly said:

The goat part might be actually easy. Other parts not so much maybe.  The Spaniel is ok but my median red Golden Retriever just got the best home brushing ever.  Meet Mr. G my best bud and dubbing material machine.

I'm researching and reading everything I can about this magical dubbing.  My Golden boy comes and tries to steal a patch of hair off my desk. He's a counter surfing crimanimal looking for me to chase him.  He liked the brushing. :)

Such a happy good doggo.

Wow what a pooch!.  We dog sit my daughters Golden every so often.   He loves to swim in our pool so to protect the filter system I always brush him out before he goes in.  His undercoat makes a wonderful golden dubbing and has caught me Brook Trout.  That got me to thinking what I could do with some of our cats under coat-  just like that 15 years of building trust went down the tubes.

To make this a more inclusive post !

499A150B-800F-472F-A106-EF6DB6F99F36.jpeg

Another gorgeous pooch!

My wife and I have been looking for a companion for our Oliver. He’s 3 and goes all of 25lbs. He loves other dogs. In the old days we would go to the local pound with $15 and walk away with a great dog in need of a loving home. But not since Covid, these days shelters want hundreds of dollars even for a mongrel assuming you can pass their “adoption” standards. We were told our yard must have a 6’ high fence.  When I finished laughing I told them Oliver hates fences and for that matter leashes as they make it harder to catch squirrels.  What’s wrong with these people?    

12 hours ago, niveker said:

Good boy.  

I'd like to see your Tups dubbing blend when you finally get it.   

12 hours ago, flytire said:

tups_furs.jpg

Here's my first attempt using medium red Golden Retriever, Natural Fisherman's wool, pink wool, and red wool.  I have some creamsicle rabbit i was thinking of adding but did not. Thinking this came out good.  I used Soft-Hackle's recipe from Global Flyfisher, a recipe from Main flyfisher, and Flytire's pic above.  In your opinion's do you think it should be more pink/orange?

Tup's 1.jpg

1 hour ago, cencalfly said:

do you think it should be more pink/orange?

Well, I''m no expert, but I think that looks really good like that.  If I was to add anything, it would be pale yellow.  'Creamy pink' is the description that always sticks in my head.  

Thanks for the photo.  

tups-dubbing.jpg

Tups-Indispensible-1080.jpg

i made a tiny batch of tups dubbing as shown above

honestly the fish will never know the difference of the dubbing blend

11 hours ago, niveker said:

Well, I''m no expert, but I think that looks really good like that.  If I was to add anything, it would be pale yellow.  'Creamy pink' is the description that always sticks in my head.  

Thanks for the photo.  

I completely agree!

Funny how there is a never ending fascination with this scrotum fly.  Maybe fly tying really is genre specific. Lol

It can be hard to tell when someone's pulling the wool over your eyes, and often that's just what we want. Hence, the Tups Indispensable.