Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

Tippet Rings

Thanks Sandan and Silver. I'm ordering two spools of maxima. 

I've just begun to experiment with Rio's tippet rings - but for a different purpose than most... I'll be tying the ring to the bitter end of my usual 20lb fluoro tippet (salt or brackish waters where we're usually using heavier leaders if we're not targeting bonefish or permit..) then using a haywire twist to add a three inch piece of #3 Malin's stainless trolling wire (coffee colored) to be able to toss our flies at toothy critters like mackeral or small sharks (under 4 feet in size).  So far the rings have stood up well -and the very light wire mates well with those small rings as well so I'm hopeful it will be something to add to our arsenal... When you try to use really light wire spliced to tippet with an Albright or similar knot it's very difficult to get a good strong connection... 

Had not considered that.  Good idea.  I had decided to not use tippet rings for my saltwater fishing because mackerel and needle fish like to attack leader knots zipping through the water when fighting a fish.  For attaching a wire bite you don't add a target that isn't already there.  Are you using the 2mm or 3mm rings?

Swamp