Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

Tippet Rings

For Swamp Fly... found my tippet rings yesterday and they're from Angler's Image in size large (3mm).  Haven't needed them yet (mackeral season won't come around until after October so they've just been sitting with all the other new materials etc.  that I haven't needed recently..). When I do use them finally I'll post up about how they work with a photo or two of how I'm setting them up... MIne are in bright metal - they also offer them in a blacked out version, which might cut down on sharp eyed small spanish macks hitting them (anything bright colored and moving in the water is likely to get hit when they're chewing..).  The first sign they're around if not showing is when one of my anglers needs a new fly - and has no idea he (or she) just encountered a spanish mackeral.. If we're using popping bugs the results are quite different - the bug gets a few tooth marks - but we do get the fish... since the bug seems to take the assault - and not the tippet..  

Thanks Capt.  Looking forward to when the macks make it into the Glads and hearing how it works out.  I bought some Cortland 1mm and 2mm rings and like you have not had the opportunity to use them yet.  The joys of doing R&D contract work.  Once my hair isn't on fire I'll get a chance to see if they work better.  I'll post it up.

Swamp

Now that my bookings have slowed down (this time of year I'm lucky to have one or two bookings a week -something about the weather... the fishing is great - the weather is just brutal...) I'm keeping busy filling lure orders (bucktail jigs and leadheads).  I may have a booking tomorrow though (and they're fly anglers.. finally...).