Fly Tying

6/0 Baron tied for the upcoming PA Fly-fishing Museum auction in November. 

After picking up some great books from Bill, including a copy of the Radencich salmon fly book,  I decided to tie this one following the Wayne Luallen dressing it contained. 

This was stretching my winging/horn materials to their limits, and I had to make some substitutions in the wing. Oh well, time to start searching for some bigger bustard! 

RIMG4088-01.jpeg

RIMG4046-02-01.jpeg

RIMG4084-01.jpeg

RIMG4081-02.jpeg

RIMG4090-01-01.jpeg

Thank you both very much! 

@SalarMan I had not either, and it really caught my eye! But to be honest I don't think I have seen a single fly from Wayne Luallen that didn't strike a chord with me! 😂

Now that I'm not getting the "Resource Limit Reached" screen I can respond👍

I enjoyed seeing this version and when I went through my books by Mike R. I found the Louallen version. It just so happens I had a Baron in the works when you posted this one. The body is complete and I will be working on finishing the fly after my wife and I get  home from a brief getaway this weekend. As a long time Pryce-Tannatt aficionado that is the planned version I am doing at this time.

I've actually done very little tying of late so the finished product may be a while before being posted.😁

Sorry for reviving this 9 month old post.

I hope I am not being crass... but, @KrakenFly, do you sell any of your full dress salmon flies?

Thank you,

Robert

PS: Absolutely beautiful photography!

On 6/29/2022 at 6:56 PM, KrakenFly said:

6/0 Baron tied for the upcoming PA Fly-fishing Museum auction in November. 

After picking up some great books from Bill, including a copy of the Radencich salmon fly book,  I decided to tie this one following the Wayne Luallen dressing it contained. 

This was stretching my winging/horn materials to their limits, and I had to make some substitutions in the wing. Oh well, time to start searching for some bigger bustard! 

RIMG4088-01.jpeg

RIMG4046-02-01.jpeg

RIMG4084-01.jpeg

RIMG4081-02.jpeg

RIMG4090-01-01.jpeg

Yes, very nice, the elongated appearance reminds me of Mike R style ( except the head). This a great color choice and really pops!

I agree with Bruce on this. However, I like the head on your tie. I sometimes think there is too much emphasis on smaller and smaller heads. Look at antique flies and that is not the case. As someone who tries to emulate those flies, I only make a superficial effort to shrink the head too much...and that fits my eye as well.

Please post more of your work!!