Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Ground Moles

How do you get rid of the lawn ruining little bastards!

mole.jpg

i tried this. nope! still digging up my yard

71Wbn9G2rRL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp

71V3imZb8rL._AC_SX466_.jpg

I had an infestation of gophers and moles in my backyard.

I had a professional exterminator company come and remove them.

They used the GopherHawk traps. I bought myself several sets and and now I can eliminate them myself.

You need at least one set of probe, wedge and traps and then more traps as needed. I actually bought 2 "sets" just in case I broke or lost part of a"set" and then I got another trap. So I have 3 traps.

These things really work!!

Rather than using the probe to locate the underground tunnel, the exterminator angled the trap toward the hole so the trigger of the trap crossed the exit hole.

And I'll bet he didn't even get the critter.  It headed out as soon as it smelled the gasoline.

17 hours ago, Lesg said:

Sure scared the dogs though.

Edit; I should have said "The Idiot sure scared the dogs though."

While impractical for most people, motor exhaust works.  Back in the eighties my father had a modified generator which had the muffler on flexible metal pipe. He could keep the generator inside the garage and have it exhaust out under the garage door during power outages.  When the moles got bad he would get up in the morning being careful not to crush any mole tunnels and then wheel the generator outside to a mole tunnel, carefully open the tunnel, and insert the end of the muffler.  Once the motor was running he'd just wait and keep a look out for "smoke" to escape in the tunnel network somewhere on the lawn.  He'd then take a small board and cover the leak using bricks to weigh it down.  Lather rinse repeat. After an hour or so he would stop.  I don't know if it actually killed the moles but they wouldn't be back for a while one way or another.

He did stop doing that after a a few years.  He figured that the moles were after grubs (which were bad too) and just let the moles eat as many as they could before moving on once the pickings got slim. It usually took a couple of weeks. The moles would usually not come back for the rest of the summer.

I think back on it and realize that if one could find the mole(s) afterwards the pelt would already be fumigated... 😄

Swamp

My wife had some luck with a pinwheel like deal that supposedly drives them out because of the frequency. Just stick them in and let them spin.

That guy blowing up his yard reminded me of the fire ant colony I killed off some time ago. They had an entry hole in the edge of the pavement in front of my yard and very well defined paths leading to their feeding grounds. Went out at night planning to dump some gasoline in the hole and burn them b-stards out. Nasty invasive killers that they are. Well I started dumping gas in the hole, and I dumped, and I dumped, and when I'd dumped most of the almost gallon can I had I thought about firing it up but unlike the guy blowing up his yard I decided not to. I could visualize blowing up a big hole and wiping out half of the street and didn't need that repair bill from the town so I quit right there. Went out and checked the next day and the gas either killed them out or they left town. I'm voting to killed them and never seen again in area. The guys who pour molten aluminum down the holes until full and then dig it up have some interesting sculpture and shows just how spread out their colony is down there.

4 hours ago, dogfacedoc said:

Get a pitbull. 

i'll blow up my yard before i get a pitbull 😀