Fly Tying
Addict

Tiger Musky

Looking for flies that would be good to try out on some Tiger Musky. Also do you have to use a metal leader when flyfishing for these freshwater sharks? dunno.gif

Addict

Addict:

Here is a leader site for these toothy critters. Use the wire. http://members.shaw.ca/mrpike/leaders.html

I did all kinds of research on pike and muskies over the winter and have about 40 sites saved in a favorites file. I will try to email it to you or any one else who would like it.

I think you will find timing and location are more important than color as sthese beasts can get pissed and attack anything. One thing I learned after tying the flies over the winter and then using them is that you want them light and able to shed water. Otherwise it's like casting a wet sock and rather tiring. Stay away from the rabbit fur strips as they get real heavy in a 1/0 to 5/0 hook and/or six inches or more long.

Also check out the site library. Thats where I started. Summer and fall a lefty deceiver and most other salwater patterns can be used.

I would check ou the species page for pike. We have been compiling some flies that will work for these fish. You may want to use larger hook sizes. There are many opinions about leaders for the freshwater preditors I personally use 15-25lb mason hardline as a 12-18" tippit. Others use tyable wire, wire leaders, or heavy fluorocarbon. It comes down to personal preference.