Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

Leica nymph

The hard part is brown-dyed open cell mattress foam.  I used to be able to buy it (Art Foam) but now I have to dye it myself.  Room temperature water and Rit dye--for a week or so--does it nicely.  Hot water does it instantly but then it's harder to control as per too dark or too light.

Snip some up. Skewer it on  a needle.  Lash on two end to end lengths of gold Crystal Flash so it has tails and antennae.

Use a sewing needle to sew in tom more criss-cross legs.  Rub some water-based fabric cement onto the bottom of the thorax area to fix the loosely sewed legs in place. Ah. The sewing needle.................I heat the eye of a needle with a cigarette lighter and then use needle nose and the barrel of a bobbin to jamb the hot eye down onto the point of another needle.  That makes a wide-eyed needle.  Narrow needle for Crystal Flash.  Fatter needle for bigger flies with rubber legs.

More natural moose mane legs do NOT work as well as sparkly Crystal Flash legs.  Without a bead it floats half in half out of the surface tension.  With  a bead it sinks.  Sort of a miniature of the world famous (not) https://montana-riverboats.com/?robopage=Flies/Sandy-Pittendrigh/Articles/Marshmallow-Nymph.htm

.............still on the needle, with some wet fabric cement not cured to clear yet

I like tying on the needle--and then attaching to a hook later.  Not fighting with the bend of the hook while tying is a pleasure.  

up-ztk_2022-07-08-06.53.32_DMap_Leica-ny