Fly Tying
cencalfly

Upper Kern Basin Fish Survey - Pack Trip

Hi All,

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) is trying to find a population of genetically pure Kern River Rainbows (non-hybridized with coastal rainbows or golden trout).  They've asked our local TU Chapter (Central Sierra Chapter of TU) to survey and take fin clip samples from three small streams in the Upper Kern Basin.  I thought I would reach out to the forum to see if anyone might be interested.  It will be a great trip but with a really short notice. It's beautiful rugged countryside. If you Google search "upper kern basin" and check out the images you'll see what I mean.

The trip is tentatively scheduled to start between July 21 - 26 and will probably be 11 days in duration.  26 mile hike into the survey sites going over Cottonwood Pass and along the western flank of Mt Whitney to Junction Meadow. It will be a tough rugged trip with elevations reaching over 12,000 feet.  We will have a packer pack in and drop off some supplies.

For safety it is necessary that the person has done at least one 5-7 day backpacking trip and is currently in excellent shape and understands how to travel lightly - less than 35 lb pack. After the first 28 miles on trails, we will then be traveling cross country on non-trail terrain.

It is a project that I think is potentially extremely valuable.  Time is short so if you know anyone that might be interested please let me know ASAP. I’ll forward them to the organizer.  Sorry for the short notice but I need to hear back by late Sunday afternoon so the names can be put on the permit first thing Monday.   This was just passed on to me the other day. 

Thanks, Jim

Oh I soooo wanna do this! But alas it is not to be.  Best of luck and have fun.