Fly Tying
Oenophileangler

Mottled Turkey treatment

Been lurking here for a while.  Tying for about a year, and improving daily. Posts here have helped a lot!  Thanks!

I have been having trouble with the durability of mottled turkey wings for my Schroeder's Parachute Caddis.  I'm tying them small (18 to 22), which probably makes them less durable.  The wings fray and become fibers after a fish or two.  They can still catch fish after fraying, but I want them to stay intact.

I have read that one can use Softex, but I'd rather avoid using this stuff.  I read that Softex is pretty fume-y.  I have asthma and my wife is pretty sensitive to smells.  I am about to try using some Loon UV  Flow to see if that might help (I guess I should just try it!).

Just wondering what others use?

Dale

I don't use anything.  I've found they still fray even with a coating of head cement or other fixatives (though I have never used Loon UV Flow), so its not worth the trouble to me, and as you said, they still catch fish.

Welcome to the site.  

7 hours ago, Oenophileangler said:

Wow, since I only have one post, I'm a Bait Fisherman! I could be insulted, but it's how I learned to fish.

Dale

everybody goes through that phase until you reach a certain number of posts

7 hours ago, Oenophileangler said:

Been lurking here for a while.  Tying for about a year, and improving daily. Posts here have helped a lot!  Thanks!

I have been having trouble with the durability of mottled turkey wings for my Schroeder's Parachute Caddis.  I'm tying them small (18 to 22), which probably makes them less durable.  The wings fray and become fibers after a fish or two.  They can still catch fish after fraying, but I want them to stay intact.

I have read that one can use Softex, but I'd rather avoid using this stuff.  I read that Softex is pretty fume-y.  I have asthma and my wife is pretty sensitive to smells.  I am about to try using some Loon UV  Flow to see if that might help (I guess I should just try it!).

Dale

i dont use anything either. the fibers will just split apart regardless of what you coat them with

I had learned many years ago that if you treat any feather wing material it won't marry together again and have found this to be true.  If I fish with a treated wing they may last for six fish, if I don't treat them and rub them to remarry them, they'll usually last for a half dozen fish!

Kim

OK, so I'm a bit of an optimist!

Welcome to the site.  I tie and fish with winged wets a lot.  I've just accepted that after a fish or two they're not going to be pretty anymore.   Just the reality of using quills.  When they get real bad I cut them down and tie another one,  all part of the fun.

12 hours ago, Oenophileangler said:

Dale

All of the replies you've gotten are good and true. Particularly Kim's.  You can use 3M spray adhesive on the whole quill either permanent or temporary, let it dry and use a bodkin to separate the fibers you need for the wing. You can get some Aleenes' Fabric fusion permanent adhesive. put some on your thumb and forefinger and run a section of wing fibers between your fingers, let dry, separate and use.  Same technique with Flow or Thin.  

For 22's, which IMHO is a really small caddis, I think your turkey fiber wing is going to fray no matter what. You might try using  D'S FLYES WEB WING MATERIAL. It's pretty durable.  The link is for the description, most fly shops carry the stuff.  I live and fish in the land of tiny flies and haven't had to go smaller than a 20 for caddis.

And, of course, welcome to the site.

Thanks everyone.  In the Eastern Sierra, we do occasionally have very small Caddis, down to size 22, usually late in the season. I'll look at that synthetic material; it looks interesting. I'll try the UV resin.  Not sure I'm keen on using a spray on the quill.

Dale

I haven't tried this yet, but I was looking through The Caddisfly Handbook (Pobst & Richard's 1998), saw an interesting wing treatment and thought of your post --

They recommend hen back and flank feathers (also quail and grouse) pressed onto scotch tape or packing tape, coated with sealant, bent double along the stem, and clipped to shape. They also recommend a sparse underwing of zelon to add some pop. 

1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

...hen back and flank feathers (also quail and grouse) pressed onto scotch tape or packing tape, coated with sealant, bent double along the stem, and clipped to shape. They also recommend a sparse underwing of zelon to add some pop. 

... that's interesting.  Will keep in mind, thx!

4 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

I haven't tried this yet, but I was looking through The Caddisfly Handbook (Pobst & Richard's 1998), saw an interesting wing treatment and thought of your post --

They recommend hen back and flank feathers (also quail and grouse) pressed onto scotch tape or packing tape, coated with sealant, bent double along the stem, and clipped to shape. They also recommend a sparse underwing of zelon to add some pop. 

Nice idea.  Thanks Chugbug27 

Correction on the zelon -- the tape and flexible cement give the wing some sparkle already. No underwing needed

I did more research on this, and I found a couple of treatments that might work.  Leeson and Schollmeyer, in the Benchside Reference, write about "Tuffilm" which might be like an adhesive, but it is originally for protecting drawings (you spray it on things like chalk or charcoal drawings so they don't smudge).  However, reviews of this stuff on Amazon say it stinks.  Feather-Craft has a product in their catalog called Feather-Tuff (also called Feather Tough by Cascade Crest Tools), which comes in a pump sprayer.  I might try this stuff.  I still haven't tried out using UV resin.

Dale

from your local craft store

if you cant do the stink spray your feathers outside

61H9JFbsBGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

try this

web wing material

MGP02750.jpg

medallion sheeting

media.nl?id=310615&c=3330642&h=c5f54429b

swiss straw

swiss-straw.jpg

Loon UV Flow cures to a "too rigid" form.  I could apply the resin to most of the wing, but tied in at the part without the resin, and that worked.  Seems more sturdy.  

I'll try solarex flex.  The Silicone clear caulk looks interesting too. I also have some of the Web Wing ordered from Stockard.

I'll get there. Thx, Norm.

Dale