Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

fly lure or flure?

Is it a problem, as a fly?  The image below is a closeup of a flure tied with a #10 grasshopper hook. It is too light to cast with a spinning rod.

up-Halfords-Ghost.jpg

...same for the following video.

As an rapidly aging old guy I find it easiest to wade slowly downstream where ever possible, on the edges of deeper water, fishing down and across with a wiggler.  Want it to swim left?  Roll cast a big loop upstream and left.  Mend the line.  Let out slack as it drifts downstream.  In mid to late summer the fish are not hanging out on the banks anymore.  They're in deep mid-river runs.  Downstream with a diving wiggler, with a loooooong leader, is deadly.  

If it's not a fly it isn't a lure either, because you can only use it with a fly rod, at least if you do not add lots of extra weight.  After a retina surgery that went badly it's too damned difficult to tie small flies on.  I can, kinda sorta, if I remember to take 5x jeweler's googles with me fishing.  But I don't always remember.  Knotting leader tippet to a barrel swivel is a lot easier.   And even if do get the dry flies on I can't see them anymore.   Across and down and set when I feel the tug I can do with my bad eyes closed.

Not clear to me just how that is tied or how durable it would be, but it's got a super action.

Pretty neat. 

If it gets you out and on the water, what does it matter, just go for it.  

Depending on where you're fishing, you may want to mind the revenoo-ers.  

I've played around with making flures/lures that can be cast with a fly rod.  These are some of the divers that I made up.  I fished them for a while and caught fish on them, mainly bass and panfish.  I would not fish them in the local FFO areas.  They've been gathering dust for a few years now.

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.bfbca93e1e6ffb764d65f0e139539dc8.JPG

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.83307c488979aa2632d29400ceb0e0c0.JPG

IMG_0380.thumb.JPG.c60c59d75773103ed95faf3d6f093bf8.JPG

I figured if I was going to imitate lures get them as close as possible.  

Those are neat lures Philly.  Are they made from cork or balsa wood?

cool bugs.  In Montana there is no such thing as FF only.  Several streams in Yellowstone Park are still posted as FF only but if you ask a ranger what that means the answer is " not bait."

Divers that float at rest are effective and relatively easy to make. Diving wigglers that sink at rest, are a bit trickier.

6 hours ago, dave said:

Those are neat lures Philly.  Are they made from cork or balsa wood?

Neither.  They're made out of foam, either soft foam popper bodies or foam cylinders trimmed and sanded to shape.  Lips are made from plastic cut and shaped.  Colors are permanent markers.  Can't remember what I coated them with, maybe Flexement or Liquid Fusion.  They're based on lures I have in my dark side tackle box.

6 hours ago, salmobytes said:

Divers that float at rest are effective and relatively easy to make. Diving wigglers that sink at rest, are a bit trickier.

Mine are basically floater/divers.  I never tried to do a suspending lure imitation.  If I wanted to have them suspend, I fished them off an intermediate or sinking line.  They would dive when stripped and float back up and suspend depending on the length of the leader.  I fish my crease flies like that along with some of my spider patterns.