Fly Tying
Joe Hard

Trimming muddler heads

In the past I found trimming muddler heads to be a drag. Especialy when trimming such flies as madonas where the deer hair was the same colour as the rabbit strip, ect. I recently put an end to all the fuss. Make the collar hairs longer than the tag ends that will form the head. Spin and pack the hair of the first clump, then trim the flared ends of the head portion (watch your thread!), NOT TO SHORT, fairly even. Dont bother to stack the next clumps, just trim the ends even.

Line the ends of the second clump up with the trimmed ends of the first clump, spin and pack. This method will leave a very distinct mark between head and collar, and the rest of the trimming can be done in seconds.

Good idea.

After spinning the collar I generally just wrap a bag tie around the collar's hair tips - finish spinning and then trim...

Trimming first might cut a step.

Two or three steps. I tried the twist tie, first you have to tie it on then you have to find it , then remove it. Make sure you dont trim the first spun clump of hair to short or your next clumps will pack it beneath the collar. It also makes all the rest of the trimming a snap.

Not to be contrary, but..... shifty.gif

Don Gapen's original muddler is much different than what most see tied and sold today. His originals do not have a neatly trimmed head. In fact, they more resemble a disintegrating comet. ohmy.gif

Here's a photo of one of Don's originals (pardon the fuzzy photo):

post-11-1119392700.jpg

Cut a soda straw into 1/4 inch sections and load the stem of your bobbin with them. Once the collar is spun slip one of the soda straw pieces up the bobbin stem, over the hook and onto the collar. Spin your head, trim it to shape...then cut the piece of straw off. Works nice!

Keeps hackle collars, and rubber legs safe also when doing hair poppers ect.