Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BrotherG

Thread BEFORE the bead??

Bought this fly(attached, hopefully....) at a fly shop out in eastern Oregon and have scoured the internet to the best of my ability and couldn't find even a picture of this with the thread in front of the bead.  I can tie a "regular" bead head nymph, there's plenty of those videos, but am wondering if someone can point  me in the right direction on making one of these.  Thanks so much!

thread before bead.jpg

i'm not sure why its tied that way unless the bead was way too big and was going over the hook eye

just tie a ball of thread behind the hook eye and then add the bead

then follow the video below

Thanks for the response, folks.  The Holy Grail vid has a what I was looking for....just go right over the top of the bead.  Cool!

I always bring the thread over bead when I tie bead head nymphs.  I make a few wraps  in front.  Not sure why I started doing it.  Probably, because it was easier to finish off the fly with the thread in front of the bead rather than behind it.

PC050329.JPG.738ec4eff82beeb653fb347e58c12e2b.JPG

Another trick I picked up is, particularly with a soft hackle is tie the hackle in front of the bead and use the bead as the thorax.  Helps to spread the hackle.

1750459491_P9140281(2).JPG.fa8a962c53fcf6c46d5f98278a5a202c.JPG

Pretty common, as @FIN-ITE 34 states. Builds up a bulging thorax and gives a little more leg action, IMO. 

This PT nymph with a double glass bead for a thorax got a good reception  this Spring:

IMG-20220402-065916b.jpg