Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CrustySpinnr

Hare's Ear Caddis pattern?

I found these at a shop while on vacation last year. I was wondering if anyone had a pttern for them. They have worked very well for me,and I would like to ty a few.

I searched around online a bit and found alot of "talk" about it but couldn't find a good pic dunno.gif

According to Hatch Guide for New England Streams (HGNS) the Hare's Ear Caddis is also called the Vermont Caddis. It is also in Flies for Trout by Dick Stewart, and may be in Good Flies by Geirach (but my copy is packed away). Rear 1/2 to 2/3 hare's ear dubbing tied rough (maybe in a dubbing loop). Front 1/2 to 1/3 mixed brown and grizzly dry fly hackle wrapped densely. There is no tail, wing or ribbing. "At the end of the natural drift let it swing around waking on the surface, then pull it under and fish it back wet (Stewart). The rough hare body traps air bubbles when pulled under thus imitating an egg-laying female diving to the stream bottom (HGNS). It looks like a really simple but durable fly.

As stated above the Vermont Hares Ear is probably the best caddis pattern around. I have been using and tying it for about 10 years and it it my most productive fly when there is no significant hatch. I use the short gray guard hairs as a tail , dub the rear of the hook with hares ear fur and wind grrizzly and coachman brown hackle in front. Dead drift then let it swing like a wet . let it hang in the current about 30 sec. or so before retrieving.Sometime they hit it so hard the snap your leader.

Thanks for the responses, it seemed like an easy tie. But I am somewhat colorblind so that poses a problem taking patterns apart at times. Normally I ask one of my kids but the mixed hackle made it a harder problem for them to figure out. I also agree with you Flyweaver it is an awesome pattern....last weds. I landed 5 trout on one of these. Aagin thanks for all the help. I will have to start tying them now biggrin.gif

Man I love caddis fishing and I love hare's ear, so I"ll have to give this a try. So it's as basic as it sounds? Shaggy hare's ear body and some mixed hackle spun ont the hook? Gotta love it....

I found a picture on the web and posted it in the database along with a description.The site was in french so it took me awhile to translate. My french is alot rusty biggrin.gif