Fly Tying
DFoster

Unsportsmanlike weather...

24 minutes ago, Moshup said:

Capt LeMay

Love night fishing for many reason and fine it helpful for my Greta Garbo syndrome as “I prefer to be alone”.Only

problem is I’m a wade fisherman and the mighty Whitey has increased in significant numbers up here and the beaches I fish have a very good population of seals. It adds a little spice 

to the game  !  Lol

Moshup - a few years ago my wife and I were sitting on Chatham Beach Cape Cod, in front of the light house, right next to the giant sign warning of confirmed Great Whites in the area.  STAY CLOSE TO SHORE AND DO NOT SWIM NEAR SEALS.  We could see dozens of seals about 800' to 1,000' off shore on laying on a sand bar.  Then along comes this family of 6, the youngest might have been 10, with snorkels, masks, flippers and all wearing black wet suits.  I thought "great now you look even more like seals"-  Anyway, in they went. and they proceeded out about halfway to where the seals were located.  We left soon after and as far as I know despite being just plain stupid they all survived the theory of Darwinism that day. 

I see similar foolishness down in the ‘glades regularly.. The boat ramp I use most days (the interior ramp at Flamingo ) is about 200 feet long - but only about 80 feet of it has docks and it’s where we launch our skiffs and meet our anglers.  The rest of it has an occasional big ‘gator or crocodile hauled out and sunning themselves.  On more than one occasion I’ve seen families with small kids in hand walk within five feet of them as though they weren’t dangerous at all… and I just hold my breath.  Either specie is frighteningly fast on land and if one grabbed a child no one would be able to stop a tragedy from happening at all.  The crocs have a reputation as fish eaters but big ‘gators actually kill a few people in Florida almost every year…

bPui8rF.jpg

At that ramp.. and that's me in the background ignoring this eleven footer (the American salty gets a lot bigger...) but as mentioned they're supposed to be fish eaters and not particularly dangerous to people.... 

eAZ9cn4.jpg

this one's a bit smaller and these are the guys visitors are perfectly willing to get entirely too close to in my opinion...  

Don't have a photo of a big 'gator but they're the ones I'm real careful around - a big one is just plain dangerous - and up for anything it can seize, then drag the victim into the water - and drown it... 

On 8/26/2022 at 8:44 PM, Capt Bob LeMay said:

I see similar foolishness down in the ‘glades regularly.. The boat ramp I use most days (the interior ramp at Flamingo ) is about 200 feet long - but only about 80 feet of it has docks and it’s where we launch our skiffs and meet our anglers.  The rest of it has an occasional big ‘gator or crocodile hauled out and sunning themselves.  On more than one occasion I’ve seen families with small kids in hand walk within five feet of them as though they weren’t dangerous at all… and I just hold my breath.  Either specie is frighteningly fast on land and if one grabbed a child no one would be able to stop a tragedy from happening at all.  The crocs have a reputation as fish eaters but big ‘gators actually kill a few people in Florida almost every year…

At that ramp.. and that's me in the background ignoring this eleven footer (the American salty gets a lot bigger...) but as mentioned they're supposed to be fish eaters and not particularly dangerous to people.... 

this one's a bit smaller and these are the guys visitors are perfectly willing to get entirely too close to in my opinion...  

Don't have a photo of a big 'gator but they're the ones I'm real careful around - a big one is just plain dangerous - and up for anything it can seize, then drag the victim into the water - and drown it... 

Lack of respect for the natural world will get you inured or killed.  It's one thing for an adult to pay the price for a stupid decision but children often have no idea of the dangers of some species.  It's truly upsetting to see people putting children in harms way.   (Sorry I had to delete your photos to respond.)

Don't be sorry at all... having to post my entire previous post takes up entirely too much space in my opinion... no matter how nice it is to see someone actually paid attention... 

On 9/6/2022 at 9:03 AM, niveker said:

Ahh, nice steady rain, with more on the way

Finally!! I follow a fly fisherman in Scotland (wildfisher) on youtube.   They are dealing with a bad drought in the U.K. also.  He said he has fished a local river since the 1960's and this year was the lowest he's ever seen it.  Maybe this recent rain will break the current drought producing weather pattern here in Mass? 

My wife has recently re -caught the fly fishing bug after years off and catching some trout will go a long ways to keep her inspired.  My plan was to take her to a nearby stocked river but the state is saying they will be limiting their fall stocking to rivers that actually have water in them.  Hopefully we will have healthy flows before they start.

5 hours ago, DFoster said:

Maybe this recent rain will break the current drought producing weather pattern here in Mass? 

Lower sun, shorter days, cooler temps - I think we'll be alright.  

IMHO, the natives have weathered alot worse and made it through, albeit not unscathed.  

Not to start a debate, but the bi and tri annual stocking of Browns and 'Bows probably does more damage to the native Brookies than the cyclical nature of the weather.  

In any case, I hope you and the Mrs are able to get out and catch a few this fall.  

13 hours ago, niveker said:

Lower sun, shorter days, cooler temps - I think we'll be alright.  

IMHO, the natives have weathered alot worse and made it through, albeit not unscathed.  

Not to start a debate, but the bi and tri annual stocking of Browns and 'Bows probably does more damage to the native Brookies than the cyclical nature of the weather.  

In any case, I hope you and the Mrs are able to get out and catch a few this fall.  

The natives have survived thousands of droughts over the centuries and this will be no exception.  Still it's amazing that they can do it.  I agree with you about the effect stocking Browns and Bows has on the natives.  With respect to stocking, in general, I wish the state would not stock over wild populations.  If a river has native brookies I'm of the opinion it should be left to them.  

Weather down my way (the Miami area) is still just cooking and it's sure to generate a hurricane or two.. Water temps last night in Biscayne at 8pm were 88 degrees at the surface...  At 1Am this morning we were waters that had only dropped a single degree...  We won't get our first hint of cooler weather usually until the end of the third week of October...  Still,  we did manage a few fish... but not fly fishing - we were tossing small lures into docklights where we could see small bait getting shredded... 

gKukWez.jpg

Our snook season just opened but any snook has to be a minimum of 28"...  so this one swam free

iOWDQMw.jpg

This one a bit bigger but still short...

Tried to edit the above post - and once again, although you can call up the edit function - you get a "not allowed" message... frustrating... 

On 9/8/2022 at 9:18 AM, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Tried to edit the above post - and once again, although you can call up the edit function - you get a "not allowed" message... frustrating... 

At least you can post pics Bob- I can't even do that. 😒

Parts of Oregon are on fire, literally.   We had a small amount of rain night before last.  Settled the dust.  Water flows are okay.

A quick note… haven’t been able to call up this site for a week or more now. So glad to see it up again …

With the weather being the original topic on this thread I’m happy to report that hurricane Ian looks like it will miss down here around Miami but instead head for Tampa and points north while pretty much ruining the fishing from the Keys all the up to the Panhandle area of our state.

Lucky me… I’ve only lost three trips I had booked out of Everglades City this week.  Hope everyone stays safe and helps out their neighbor after the storm passes …

Have a couple buddies who have relocated to Alabama next to the  panhandle will be their first hurricane..We have occasional tornados and blizzards but certainly not hurricanes.They are retired tradesmen so should be good assets if it gets nasty.Have some elderly aunts and an uncle in Fort Meyers that have been thru a couple.Good luck to you guys.