Fly Tying

Featured Fly - Murray's Hellgrammite

This new featured fly should be recognizable by the warmwater anglers amongst us. Murray's Hellgrammitte is a widely used pattern for smallmouth bass and has become a staple in many fly boxes. The main photo you see here shows an example tied on a tube(something I have never seen) while the step by step photos use a regular hook.

I'm sure this fly has plenty to offer the coldwater angler as well. Anywhere a hellgrammite can be found this pattern is considered the best imitation around. cool.gif

Thanks Blueman89 for the great write up and photos headbang.gif

Murray's Hellgrammite

user posted image

I have one question. In the main photo the fly is tied on a tube and like I mentioned above that is something I have never seen.

Is there any particular advantage to tying/fishing these flies on a tube?

The tube has a piece of flexible tubing attached to the back end . The hook is tied to the line then placed in the tube. When a fish hits and gets hooked the fly slides up the line and won't get torn up as bad. You also don't have to ruin the fly with pliers to remove it.The best thing is that you can use a shorter shanked hook for better holding power and easier releases. Another thing you can do is make a fly in 2 parts and have a longer, articulated fly. I make a foam popper that has a foam head on one tube and a tail tied on a hook. You can then change head and tail dressings without carrying a billion flies.

gun_bandana.gif gunsmilie.gif

user posted image

Here is a picture of the fly rigged up.You should be able to see the hook holding tubing and hook on the back of the fly and the tippit in the front.

I knew about the advantage of a tube sliding up the line and not getting tore up but tying a fly on 2 tubes and being able to change heads and bodys is something I never thought of, that is an awesome innovation, who gets te credit for that one? They deserve a big pat on the back. headbang.gif

Skunked, you could also try tying one part of the body on a hook for the same effect.I'm hoping to try both versions on Monday, but that will depend on the weather.I'll be at Slippery Rock Creek for anybody familiar to Western PA.

I looked over this thread and created something similiar-For the tail i used dominic chicken feathers-for the hackle i used the same thing-for the dub i used gray rabbit fur-used white leg pieces and tied it off with black string.it turned out about the same just with a different color.