Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Hurricane Ian

Hope all of our Fl members are to a safe spot in the state away from the coasts. Ian looks like he's pretty serious. I spoke to Mike (mikechell) last night and they are hunkered down with generator and supplies and ready for it. @Capt Bob LeMay I can't remember exactly where you are in Fl but I hope you are somewhere safe as well.

It's getting lively for sure.  Foe those that want to look it up I'm 4-5 miles west of Babcock Ranch.  Humorously enough I have to drive by the radar array that the local news uses.  My folks decided to drive here from Cape Coral (further west) this morning. I was not happy about them being on the road but their house will get much worse including a high risk of storm surge.

The good news Is I'll bet I can layout 300' of 3wt fly line right now!

The folk in Charlotte harbor are gonna get pounded. I know we have a member or two up there.

Y'all be safe.  I'm hunkered down in the swamp.

Swamp

Hope you all get through it alright Swamp Fly. I'm watching the coverage on Weather Ch right now and they are actually reporting from FT Myers....looks like it's getting pretty spicy there right now ☹️

Swamp Fly, Capt Bob, MIke, and anyone else in FL...man, I hope all you guys are okay. I was watching some of the coverage on Weather Ch and Fox the past few hrs... some of that is flat out scary what is going on down there right now. Seen 120mph wind and over 6ft or surge already... I hope you guys are all okay. I'm sure some of you guys will be without power prob for at least a few days or more, but when you can, let us know you guys are okay.

My brother is in Edgewater Florida and is currently on portable generator power

cell phone service still working but he lost his internet service and power

his backyard has about an inch or so of standing water

lots of rain and very windy

rain.jpg

Here's what I wrote on another thread about how we fared down here in south Florida...

Down here in south Florida we got very lucky and it missed us mostly... except for the storm surge which beat up the lower Keys and the entire area of the coastal Everglades as it passed by. During the storm's passage, the Park (Everglades National Park) had their gates open and I was surprised... After the storm passed, last night they shut down the Park completely, locked the gate (only one road and one gate into the Park - the road to Flamingo....) and won't open again until they can do a full damage assessment... Along with that I've tried today (Thursday) to make a few calls into Everglades City / Chokoloskee , the northwestern boundary of the Park, about thirty miles east of Marco Island and Naples - with no success at all.... I've heard, second hand only, that both the town and the island got flooded.... Not surprising since most of it is very low lying and it doesn't take much to cover it with a storm surge... Will post up when I hear differently... The folks in that area, the Ten Thousand Islands are hardy souls who will get things up and running again as quickly as possible.  Visitors and commercial fishing are their sole source of income and very few, it any can qualify for insurance -if they could even afford it.... Nothing like living in a flood zone that gets hit over and over again.... 

its gonna be awhile before that gets untangled

boats.jpg

i was thinking about buying a mobile home in florida. maybe not

mobile homes.jpg

mobile homes 2.jpg

13 minutes ago, flytire said:

was thinking about buying a mobile home in florida

Not to be insensitive, but it looks like you can buy one for pretty cheap right now.  

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Not to be insensitive, but it looks like you can buy one for pretty cheap right now.  

Yup but I don’t want to rebuild one from the destroyed ones

i may be dumb but not stupid 

Man what a catastrophe up and down the coast. I'm in glades county and about 60 Miles east of Ft. Myers beach inland. Fortunately for us the southern half of the storm had very little rain and we got maybe 60-70 mph winds. No big deal here.
The kicker for us was that my parents house got hit by a tornado spun off from an initial band the night before the hurricane actually arrived. My middle son and dad were asleep. They woke up to some banging at 2 am and just went back to sleep. The next morning dad called and said, we have a problem. We grabbed what we could before the weather worsened ahead of the hurricane. Thankfully, the hurricane didn't add much to the damage.

I sure hope Swamp Fly made it out ok. Babcock and the cape took a direct hit.🙏

98478B79-3D68-4C15-8C21-8BE5FF109B44.jpeg

539DCDF9-74DC-4DE3-BA52-3AE27D1AE485.jpeg

I had a 12 Jon boat, upside down behind the pop up camper on the ground. Still haven't found it. Neighbors checked around and it's nowhere to be seen.  Checked the pasture and train tracks that are behind the tall weeds too. 🤷‍♂️ 

5129868F-83F6-44AA-852F-E197B2ACF85D.jpeg

All of Chokoloskee and Everglades City was still under water yesterday  -the photos look pretty grim.  Will post an update as I learn more... 

I am in Orlando, and by the time it got to us, it was a Tropical Storm.  Winds of 50 to 60 MPH, and rain for 2 days.  Lots of debris down in the yard, but no damage.  The power is on, but my sister in law's house 8 miles away is without power, and up near downtown, there was more rain, and the chain of street runoff retention ponds flooded many areas.  Their house is just barely above water, but it's receding now.  

I wouldn't buy or live in a prefab, or mobile home in Florida if you gave me one.  

You guys who are down there living through it are really taking this one on the chin in many areas. Terrible winds, tidal surges feet high and miles inland, rain from above at Ark flooding levels, and I'm sure your rivers are doing there to join up as they run over their banks. If I was younger I'd consider heading their to help but the best I can do now is contribute what I can. The monetary losses in this are going to be devestating to many and though Uncle Joe is promising huge dollars of help recovery will be slow and painful for many Floridians. 

I have this notion to say "Why live there?" but then a lot of people think that us who live in the Tornado Alley are nuts. I don't think there are many areas in this country or this world that are exempt from catastrophic acts of nature. Just different kinds and at different times. We just shrug it off as best we can and go on with our lives.