Fly Tying
DFoster

A few things about Korkers.

I bought a pair of their Wraptr's boots a year ago this month.   After a few weeks of weekend use this spring I noticed a rivet that holds the lace eyelet to the boot was missing.   I called Korkers and they told me they would be happy to fix it but that would require my sending the boots back to them, Ok......but the rep wasn't sure about how long it would take. 😳   Admittedly I stopped listening as soon as he said something about covid and the repair shops hours-   Nope, it was early spring and after not casting a line all winter I wasn't going to allow a missing rivet get in my way.  I decided to buy my own rivets and fix it myself.  Done- or so I thought.  A month later I noticed  a rivet missing from the other boot and also fixed it myself.   This week I noticed the felt that is glued to the removable sole is pulling away (glue failing) at the toe.  Hmph. The felt is not even close to wearing through, in fact it looks barely worn.  I really don't want to spend $50 for a new pair of soles when these are hardly worn.  Unless someone out there has a better option I intend to re- glue the felt with JB Weld and see how it goes. 

Wraptrs are one of the more expensive boots Korkers offers and I take care of them.   I don't believe that after only a year of weekend/after work use I should be having these issues. My previous pair of White River boots were a lot less money and lasted years before I noticed any serious wear.  I bought Korkers because of their reputation  but I'm starting to think my pair were made by someone hung over the Monday after the Super Bowl.

I'm going to guess maybe you just got a pair that for whatever reason, was not up to QC standard from them, as you suggested. My Korkers (Metalheads) are going on probably year 8-9 now I think? And still prob have at least another few more years in them.

I would suggest calling them again and seeing if you get someone else on the phone this time. Because in my exp Korkers customer service is top notch. With my Metalheads I had an issue with one of the boa laces breaking about 6 months after I got them. They had me send them back and they had a brand new pair (the ones I have now) at my door less than a week later no questions asked. So I would say call again and tell them what you just said here, and I'd be surprised if they didn't have you send them in and just send you a brand new pair.

19 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

I'm going to guess maybe you just got a pair that for whatever reason, was not up to QC standard from them, as you suggested. My Korkers (Metalheads) are going on probably year 8-9 now I think? And still prob have at least another few more years in them.

I would suggest calling them again and seeing if you get someone else on the phone this time. Because in my exp Korkers customer service is top notch. With my Metalheads I had an issue with one of the boa laces breaking about 6 months after I got them. They had me send them back and they had a brand new pair (the ones I have now) at my door less than a week later no questions asked. So I would say call again and tell them what you just said here, and I'd be surprised if they didn't have you send them in and just send you a brand new pair.

Thanks Steve- the boots themselves are a molded shell so there is no stitching to wear out- ever.  One reviewer said "you may never need to buy another pair of wading boots". I certainly am still a fan of Korkers even with these few minor irritations.  I will send their customer service this photo and who knows they may offer to send me a new pair of soles.  To be fair they did offer to repair/replace them this spring.  The issue was due to covid restrictions the turn around time was unknown and I didn't want to miss weeks or even months of fishing.   Perhaps they're back up to full staffing these days?  I did JB weld the sole below just to get me to the end of the season, or maybe longer- JB Weld is strong stuff, maybe even stronger than the glue Korkers uses.

IMG_5068.thumb.JPG.b6035a24757cd39b7714afe40c68eaaf.JPG

I own a pair of Korkers , super comfy , & my only complaint is the strap on the back of the sole  breaks …this has happened on all the soles .  When it happened to the studded soles that were only a yr old I sent them back to Korkers & they replaced them no problem . I think they’re customer service is good , they communicated well .   But if anyone has any tips on how to prevent that strap from breaking I’d appreciate it… 

13 hours ago, flygirl said:

I own a pair of Korkers , super comfy , & my only complaint is the strap on the back of the sole  breaks …this has happened on all the soles .  When it happened to the studded soles that were only a yr old I sent them back to Korkers & they replaced them no problem . I think they’re customer service is good , they communicated well .   But if anyone has any tips on how to prevent that strap from breaking I’d appreciate it… 

I have had my pair for about a year and thankfully the strap has not failed.  That said I almost change the soles so I'm not putting any real stress on the straps.  Do you change between the various soles often or fish in salt water?  

By the way JB Weld worked like magic so if you ever have the same issue I detailed above give it a try.