Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

9mm AR PCC build

Been kicking out a lot of rods lately so that I can have a bit of free time soon to start my latest build. Have most the parts now to build a pistol caliber carbine 9mm AR 16" rifle.

Waiting on some Duracoat to show up today. Going to Duracoat the upper/lower and rail myself in Titanium color Duracoat.

Lower is a dedicated 9mm PSA 9mm lower that takes Glock mags so plan to run some 33rd Glock mags in it. Upper is 16" 1/10 twist Nitride barrel. Going to order a Kaw Valley PCC buffer tube setup for it tonight as well as the Red dot and that should be all the parts needed then for this one.

Io64rAe.jpg

First time ever Duracoating anything. Going to call it a success! I bought the liquid and hardener that you use for shooting through an airbrush. I think it does a much better job that way, but I won't lie, it was not fun. They say a .5 needle in the airbrush is fine, but even that seemed small, even with reducing the Duracoat. But after 3 coats it's done. Also covered it with 2 coats of Duracoat matte clear. With the Matte clear, and also cutting the clear with about 15% reducer, it gave me just the finish I was looking for on this build. A nice flat Titanium color. This one is going to look great with the black stock and buffer tube and other black accessories. You don't have to oven cure Duracoat, but you can to help cut cure time. So I went 20mins at 200f to cut the cure time down.

nZIixSz.jpg

Latest build is finally DONE. To say I am pleased with it is an understatement. I had a picture in my head of how I wanted it to look, and it came out even better than I could have hoped. Details are-
9mm PCC 16" 1/10 twist barrel
Dedicated 9mm AR lower (takes double stack Glock mags)
I Duracoated the upper/lower/fore end myself
Built the upper/lower myself
Adaptive Tactical butt stock
Adaptive Tactical skeletonized lightweight grip
2 MOA red dot with auto on/off
Gen 4 bolt carrier
Enhanced trigger group and I polished the trigger as well
M-lok rail with light
Kaw Valley 7.5oz stainless 9mm buffer with .308 spring
Kaw Valley linear compensator
Strike Industries hand stop

DrK4YX6.jpg
sMtr9ZV.jpg
JFj5FVY.jpg
RLErbux.jpg
ffdy7H3.jpg

Took this latest build (9mm PCC) to the range today and put the first rounds through it. I am extremely happy with this build. It runs very smooth, real light recoil and cycles perfect with the 7.5oz buffer set up built it with. Only took about 15rds to get it zeroed in. And the grouping is fantastic. This is a 5rd group at 30-35yrd range. Can't wait to get this one back out again next week.

Zfm4cyU.jpg

Super nice color. How hard is it to get a good finish with the Duracoat and how is it’s durability? I’ve been thinking about refinishing an old shotgun with duracoat. 

It's extremely durable. I did a lot lot of research on finish before I decided on the Duracoat. It's vastly more durable than paint, and while not quite as durable as Cerakote, it is still probably 80-85% as durable as Cerakote. They offer two ways to apply it. They sell a rattle can version where you puncture the bottom of the can which contains the attached hardener and then spray it just like you would a paint can, and then they sell the 4oz liquid jars of the color, hardener and clear coat which you can use to spray through an airbrush. I went with the airbrush application for mine.

It's not all that hard per say, but more just to get a good long lasting finish, it has to be done properly. Meaning just like with a good paint job, the final results are 90% prep work and 10% application. I spent about 2-3hrs prepping the parts with Scotch Brite, then I used a full can of non chlorinated brake cleaner to clean them, then I poped them in the oven for about 20mins at 150f just to draw out any oil or chemicals that might leech out of the parts. Then I filled a pan with acetone and soaked them in that. Then once it comes out of the acetone you don't want to touch the parts with your hand or oil will get on them, so you wear latex gloves from that point forward. After that then you tape up the openings and then do about 4 light coats of Duracoat, then clear coat. You only have to use clear if you use the metal colors like I did, normal black or green or any non metal type color doesn't have to have a clear over it.

So more or less just kind of a process to do it but not difficult to do. Seems like you are a lot like me and like to do things yourself and work with your hands, so it's something you'd probably enjoy doing. I ordered my stuff directly from them, but they also sell on Ebay&Amazon as well https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes.com/

Two range days in one week? Yes please 😎 Back at my happy place again today. 2nd time shooting the PCC...it has honestly become my new fav out of my entire collection. with the 7.5oz buffer & .308 spring it cycles smooth as hell, and recoil/rise is so minimal that follow up shots are just right on target even quickly squeezing them off. I'm really falling in love with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJgUtra0_iM

qxe8Wrt.jpg

4XDXVfE.jpg