Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RickZieger

Should I tie with these?

I only know that I would not use either one.  I would also consider changing to another brand.

Yeah, I would tie flies on those, and give them to my brother - just to reinforce how much better a fisherman I am when he loses the fish - LOL.  And to get him back for blaming me for losing his 20+ inch rainbow because I couldn't net it properly.  He strong-armed it and snapped the tippet, and he's lucky if it was 16inches.  Damned thing grows an inch bigger ever year.  

I've never come across a hook I bought that was that bad, but as I usually buy the less expensive brands, I have come across a reject or two, here and there.  Not a big deal in my book.

4 hours ago, niveker said:

Yeah, I would tie flies on those, and give them to my brother -

LOL niveker,  I've found a few less than ideal or open eyes but not that bad as the second one i would not tie on it.

Low cost hooks are not necessarily cheap hooks and have had bad hooks from the premium brands.Many name brand hooks come from China ,made to the brand's specs but you can get some brittle hooks.I always test the breaking/bending of new hooks .I had some curved nymph hooks that would snap on even small fish.Way over tempered and they were pricey,bought at a fly shop not online.I buy my most common hooks online by the 100 these days.BPS had Eagle Claw fly hooks in hundred packs that are more than acceptable .My barbless light wire 12s and 14s that are nearly all from china i buy as cheap as i can find them.No longer paying these online flyshops premium prices to repackage stuff from china they buy in bulk.

I was tying with silk thread yesterday and one particular hook kept bending. They were flimsy. I am not going to use them because they will likely open on a fish.