Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stellahound01

Thread keeps breaking

Hello,

I am tying some flies and got a new spool of 8/0 tan thread. Tried tying three flies this evening and at some point during this all three times the thread broke. I have a cheap bobbin. Maybe that is a problem? It does not feel like it allows the spool to turn very easy? I haven't had this issue with any other thread though. Also new to the game so looking for a little advice on what causes the issue. Thank you. 

Bend the arms out to loosen tension on the thread spool. Squeeze them in if you need too increase tension on the spool. I own nothing but cheap bobbins, about 20 or more and don’t have any problems with any of them. If your cheap bobbin has a ceramic insert your most likely good and your just pulling the thread to tight or nicking the hook point. 8/0 thread is easy to break.  If your bobbin is just a cheap steel tube it might be your bobbin. There is absolutely no need  to spend big money on bobbins just be sure to get one with a ceramic insert. 

If the thread spools don’t turn freely in the bobbin, try adjusting the tension; a little nose grease on the feet helps, too.  You may have a slight nick in the bobbin tube (unlikely if it’s a ceramic); roll up a piece of #600 wet/dry sandpaper, insert it in the tube and twist it a bit to smooth out any rough edges.

Regards,
Scott

Good advice above, if you have adjusted the bobbin to give less tension on the thread,  look with a magnifying glass for even a tiny flaw.  I would suggest a ceramic bobbin.

Old tying thread or tying thread exposed to sunlight will fail. Usually black thread is the worst, but other colors also fall victim to this deterioration. Check your bobbin, chuck the spool of thread and get back to tying. As others have said, use ceramic tube or a bobbin with a ceramic bead at the tip. 

I had the same problem with thread a couple of weeks ago.  I broke it two or three times and figured I'd nicked the thread by my hook.  So I pulled past it and haven't had the problem since. 

I have an old Nylon thread marked 4/0 Nylon on a wooden spool.   It's from the early 50s, The first few inches the thread was weak, but after I spooled away the thread's first few layers, the remainder is as strong as could be.  So I think threads can weaken as it ages but once you get past the outside you should be good.

I don't know what thread is made of today.

All good words of advice if your bobbin is not ceramic you can burnish it with a piece of wire or polish it as Scott said. I use old S&M bobbins and end up burnishing every now and again with copper wire