Fly Tying

I’ve had these in my head for a few years now. Finally took the time to make them reality. 2 1/2oz shot glasses with a stainless steel liner. 

Cheers,

Michael

”Esse Quam Videri”

A83BE9AB-88A5-475D-B136-C5442A1AD31C.jpeg

EC449DD1-2BA8-446F-BE79-1A3BA364CDA7.jpeg

I like the cups and the Lichtenburg burns.  Looks like you glued the liners into the cups.  I think that might come back to haunt you.  Cleaning them might be a bit of a chore without getting water into the wood at the seam.

Good luck ... and I really like how they look!

A set of pens I turned in trade for a pair of UGA football tickets. Spalted pecan and Georgia coastal live oak. 

Screenshot_20230206_192546_Messenger.jpg

On 2/6/2023 at 6:32 PM, cencalfly said:

Those are really nice. 

Do you ever use Cactus Juice?  I've been working on stablizing different pieces for constant water contact.  Like vases and such.  I figure stabilizing with Cactus Juice and then coating with epoxy may work. Like you would on rod thread wraps and rotate the epoxy coated item to stop pooling.  Yet to give it the full test.  I don't think they'll ever be dishwasher or hot water safe.    

Good evening all. 

Including you Mikechell.

cencalfly,

I have not used “Cactus Juice”. I’ve been told it works great. The way I made these is to in case the inside with epoxy then I burned them. Then I encase the outside with epoxy and epoxy the cup in place. This is the same process I use to make my travel mugs. 

Thanks for all the interest. 

Michael

”Esse Quam Videri”

On 2/6/2023 at 7:27 PM, zip said:

A set of pens I turned in trade for a pair of UGA football tickets. Spalted pecan and Georgia coastal live oak. 

Screenshot_20230206_192546_Messenger.jpg

These are amazing!!!! It appears the bottom two are made of Beech?

That was the perfect trade. 

Michael

13 hours ago, essequamvideri said:

I really should learn to read. 

Ok, different question. What are you using as a finish and how far down in grit do you sand?

Michael

I keep the finishes pretty simple. Start at sanding from 800-3000 and then, depending on grain, Ill slap a thin coat of tung oil on to harden the wood (since theres a mil or less after turning). Then finish with lite coats of superglue (fine wet sanded) and touched with a polishing pad and compound.

😮

zip,

That looks….. WOW! 
I’ve always been curious, what it’s like to tie with water buffalo hair? Figuring you went to Australia and hunted the buffalo. 

Michael

On 2/9/2023 at 7:34 PM, essequamvideri said:

😮

zip,

That looks….. WOW! 
I’ve always been curious, what it’s like to tie with water buffalo hair? Figuring you went to Australia and hunted the buffalo. 

Michael

Thank you for the kind exclamation!

I must apologize and ruin your visions of a tall fit man wandering the outback in search of cape buffalo. Nothing but a short stocky guy ordering it from online!