Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

10' 3/4wt euro rod

I like them a lot for my own rods. Only time I wouldn't use them is if I fished out of a boat all the time. With rods laying on boat seats or across stuff in the boat, if you pull the rod directly backwards and it gets snagged on something it could loosen a guide over time if you did it a lot or were heavy handed. Other than that though I've always been a fan of them myself.

I fish out of canoes or my sportboat  I guess I could understand getting hung up.... reminds me, we (better half and I) where on a canoe fishing trip just after our honeymoon, 20 miles of river and fully committed to finish after traveling about five miles downriver (I was trolling a fly rod off the back) I hung up the rod on a branch in some riffle and it left the boat. Needless to say, I followed not wanting to lose my rod, she turned to see what was going on and rolled the canoe spilling her, dogs, and gear. The remainder of the trip was very quiet and colder than the water (late October, leaves were beautiful, silence was deafening) it was a very long 15 miles to the pull out. We laugh about it now but for a long time..........I fished alone