Fly Tying
wire-guided

Hello from Myrtle Beach

I'm a new fly fisher, but have enjoyed spin fishing since I was little. I also helped my neighbor in creating his wooden popper lures with sanding and painting, and the crafty side of fishing is what brought me into fly tying. I hope to see if I can fish the same species I did spinning on the fly. Hopefully one day I'll get to some trout waters, too!

Welcome to the site, wire-guided, from Massachusetts. 

30 minutes ago, wire-guided said:

I hope to see if I can fish the same species I did spinning on the fly.

I could  be wrong, but I doubt it.  (I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.)  As far as I know,  there is no rule on what you can target with a fly rod.  People fly fish for blue fin tuna & sharks. 

Just now, niveker said:

fin tuna & sharks. 

Makes me wonder if I can take it out to deeper waters, and how deep... I've seen videos of surf fishing, too, so that's one of my current goals to practice while living here at the beach.

2 minutes ago, wire-guided said:

Makes me wonder if I can take it out to deeper waters, and how deep

I think the biggest limitations will be what type of gear you have or can get your hands on, and possible your casting ability.  Both of those are easy to overcome.  

I have only started to try to get into inshore fly fishing, - the hardest part for me is passing up all the trout streams on the way to the beach.  

There are a few fly fisherman here with much more experience that I, maybe they will chime in.    

Welcome from Connecticut. I have a 15-foot nine weight that I have fished the jetties with, I have caught Mahie from the pulpit of tuna boats while fishing for albacore and yellowfin (never hooked a tuna) with a 9-foot 10 weight. Mark Knapp from AK has caught ling cod and I think halibut with a fly rod (that's deep-water fly fishing) he is a moderator on the forum look for some of his posts it opened my eyes. 

Thanks for the insight. I've just got a 4/5wt and a 5wt right now that I use for bass and bluegill around me, but I'm looking to take my fishing out to the surf. Trying to decide between a 10 or a 12 wt.

I like my 10 weight in the surf or on a boat, it was gifted to me from a friend after his passing. Also have couple 9 weights. The 15 footer is a two hand more for river use but I have used it on jetties, and it will keep other fisherman from crowding you 😄 my 9-foot 9 weight is my old salmon rod also my back up in the salt. Pay more attention to your choice of reels, salt life is very hard on equipment, at minimum sealed drags and frequent cleaning. 

Welcome to the site!  You'll find that it is loaded with many fine and experienced fishers, tyers, rod builders, and just all-around nice folks.  I'm a born and bred central NYer.  I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 11+ years.  I hope that we cross paths on this site soon.  Oh, and BTW, the "WW" in my handle stands for warm water!

Kim

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

Welcome to the site!  You'll find that it is loaded with many fine and experienced fishers, tyers, rod builders, and just all-around nice folks.  I'm a born and bred central NYer.  I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 11+ years.  I hope that we cross paths on this site soon.  Oh, and BTW, the "WW" in my handle stands for warm water!

Kim

I just moved from up north! Spent a lot of time fishing in NY, I moved from NJ to SC in August. Tying is one of my favorite pastimes right now as I build my fly box up. I look forward to getting in on a swap once I become a better tyer and fisher. Everyone's creations and posts are really inspiring me to keep at it.

On 10/25/2022 at 7:49 PM, wire-guided said:

Thanks for the insight. I've just got a 4/5wt and a 5wt right now that I use for bass and bluegill around me, but I'm looking to take my fishing out to the surf. Trying to decide between a 10 or a 12 wt.

Wire Guided-

Welcome to the site.  I am in North Myrle Beach.  Drop me a PM and I will try to turn you on to the local Fly scene.

We had an active club but it has been dormant since the 2020 shut down.  There is Sunday Tying at BPS at 17 and 22.

22 hours ago, Noahguide said:

Wire Guided-

Welcome to the site.  I am in North Myrle Beach.  Drop me a PM and I will try to turn you on to the local Fly scene.

We had an active club but it has been dormant since the 2020 shut down.  There is Sunday Tying at BPS at 17 and 22.

I'll have to drop by! I'll send you a message, too.