Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Iasgair

Hello

I'm new here to this forum and I like to tie flies but have a learning disorder so it takes me a while to get them right.  But I don't give up easily.

I hope I can learn more from you all and get better at this wonderful hobby. 

I'm getting into classic winged wet flies and doing better at it, but still struggling here and there.  Though many people I talk to say they can make the wings once out of three attempts, so I don't feel too bad about it.  It just tells me I'm on the right track. 

I'm glad to be here and I'm sure I'll learn many new tricks and patterns here.

Welcome to the site, @Isgair - nothing wrong with taking your time to get things exactly as you want them.  You'll see a few perfectionists around here if you browse through the Fly of the Month threads.  I've learned alot just by studying their posted flies and comparing them to how mine look.  The thing to remember, to paraphrase Jim Leisenring, is that we tie for pleasure, I for mine, you for yours.  Occasionally I catch a fish too, that's the bonus.  

Winged wets are lots of fun to tie and fish, and they can be challenging to get just right.  I'm certainly no Don Bastian, but one thing I have learned is that there are alot of techniques out there to get those wings set.  Certainly try them all, but don't be afraid to experiment and develop your own.   

Also, don't be afraid to post your ties - looking forward to seeing some soon.

Welcome from Connecticut I hope you will enjoy the site. Don't get discouraged tying wet wings, took me a while to set them to my satisfaction, remember to have fun and the little things like thread control and well-matched feathers really make a difference.

Welcome to the site!  You'll find that it is loaded with many fine and experienced tyers, fishers, rod builders and just good folk.  I'm a born and bred central NYer.  I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for going on 12 years now.  I can proudly say that ALL the flies I tie can catch fish under the right circumstances!😁 Of course those circumstances are an excellent fisher on one end of the line and a fish that needs glasses on the other!🙄  I hope that you enjoy the site and that we cross paths here.

Kim

Thank you very much for your kind words and encouragement.  I'll certainly post photos of my accomplishments when tying.  People I know say my flies are well tied, but it just takes me forever to do it. What may take all of you ten minutes may take me thirty min. 

Here's the last fly I tied, the classic Rio Grande King wet fly.   The tail is a little too long I think. 

20220802_161050.jpg

Nice tie, wings look good.  

I don't worry too much about speed when tying, as I'm not tying to sell, but for enjoyment and maybe catch a fish somewhere down the road.  

Some say if you tie a dozen of one pattern in one sitting, you'll become more proficient.  That's true, but I rarely have that kind of free time, one or two before bed a few days a week is about it for me. 

I think you are your own worst critic. I don’t think I've ever tied a fly in ten minutes. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever set out to tie a fly in ten minutes or within any time frame. Like Niveker, I tie maybe three flies a couple days a week before it’s time to find something else to do. Never have I sat down and tied a dozen at one time. Just can’t do it. Even so my fly boxes are full. Your fly looks really great! Keep posting them. 

20 hours ago, Isgair said:

Thank you very much for your kind words and encouragement.  I'll certainly post photos of my accomplishments when tying.  People I know say my flies are well tied, but it just takes me forever to do it. What may take all of you ten minutes may take me thirty min. 

Here's the last fly I tied, the classic Rio Grande King wet fly.   The tail is a little too long I think. 

20220802_161050.jpg

Don't worry about time unless you want to tie professionally (AND be able to eat, that is!).  My favorite patterns to tie are 2X2's (2 materials used and 2 minutes to tie each fly),  and the only thing I use to time how long I take per fly is a calendar!

Kim

16 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Don't worry about time unless you want to tie professionally (AND be able to eat, that is!).  My favorite patterns to tie are 2X2's (2 materials used and 2 minutes to tie each fly),  and the only thing I use to time how long I take per fly is a calendar!

Kim

Thank you KIm.  

And thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.  One of the things I have learned about tying is to go as SLOW as I need to.  It's not a race to beat the clock.  I do have time to tie a dozen at once, but it's getting them to all look the same is the issue, especially if I'm tying a pattern I have never tied before. But surprisingly enough, I do redeem myself at times.