Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Fish Dead + Dead Fish =

It is so sad that people cant dam well leave things alone - without trying to put the thing in a tank for gods sake. It makes me angry, just so freaking stupid. How many more of them fish like that are out there? Oh look, lets put it in a cage - what a great idea. That dickhead is in the wrong century.

Very sad. Why I like the slot limits here for Sturgeon. The big boys (the granddaddies) are NOT allowed out of the water and have to be released immediately. Yup, the big ones are the spawners.

Damned Steve, what do the sturgeon look like in your area. You put whiskers on ours, and all you got is one ugly beast with whiskers. laugh.gif

Thats just plain sad. mad.gif

Just holding that fish like that is removing the slime from its skin,that is necessary to protect it from the elements . dry.gif It would have probably died in the tank. sad.gif

It should have been weighed and released -ASAP - stupid ^#*&%@ . wallbash.gif

LW

Its just another example of how competitiveness often over-rides common sense and can ruin something that is susposed to be fun.

I can't tell you how many co-workers I wont fish with because they get competive and make even a successful trip lousey.

I hope ya'll didn't take my "fertilizer" comment seriously. I agree with what has been said about slot limits and any sensible, scientifically proven size restrictions for all species of fish: "game" or otherwise. The same people who typically bitch about slot limits are the same ones bitching about licsense fees. It takes money to fund these programs and to educate the public. Some times an event like this one can be used as a vehicle to motivate a conservation movement.I am not aware though of any advocasy groups within the catfishing community.

Time willing, when a fisheries biologist can be present as this one seemed to have arrived in due time, weigh, measure and TAG the fish. Then, he/she should have insisted on release of the fish! If the state doesn't have the law in place, perhaps they could offer a reward or some compensation insentive for the releas of a x-large fish or potential record. Just my 2cts.

A.A.

He caught the fish, he could have done whatever the heck he wanted with it.

If YOU caught the world record whatever(20 pound bluegill perhaps), youre telling me you wouldnt get it weighed on a certified scale? just let it go you say?

bs.gif

they next guy to catch it would probably kill it. And, realistically, once the news got out about this fish, if it were released, the fishing pressure there would probably triple. Even more fish would be killed if thats where you want me to take this argument. Another view would be that the pollution and waste from anglers would pile up and access and water quality would go to hell. ETC...

The fish probably did not have much longer to live.

people catch and keep fish all the time, when they fork over money for a licence, they can do that.

not everyone practices catch and release. alot dont even practice it at all. Keep what you catch.

Fly fishers seem to be an eletist group of guys, sitting around talking about why this other guy is "wrong".

Enough of my BS. bs.gif

Im going fishing tomorrow.

Joe

PS: too bad one of those noodlers did not grab onto this guy. imaginge that wrastlin' match boxing.gif

Yeah Joe, you are right, he is entitled to kill it.

And no, I would not have. I rarely even take a pic if it means a delayed release. I know I caught the damn thing, that is all that matters to me.

i guess i can honestly say i don't know what i woulda done. we all strive to catch big fish, but if you caught a fish that was so ungodly huge and quite possibly a world record, would you have kept it so it can then be entered as one? If i caught a 25lb walleye, I think it would be coming home, i'm sorry.... just the way it is. Now, if i caught a 10-18lb walleye, back into the drink it goes. *note: i have released quite a few larger walleye.

I have a hard time with poachers, if this guy was within his legal rights, so be it. I really wish he woulda took the proper precautions (if possible with a fish that size, i don't know) to ensure its survival. maybe he did, the thing just died of stress from the fight and whatnot, i dunno. Some things in life just happen, and we as fisherpeople know that some of the fish we hook are going to die, its just a fact of life. we try to make this as small of a percentage as possible, but it still happens.

Anyone know if fish are like humans where the ability and success of spawning is negatively affected by old age? *insert joke here.

steve

QUOTE (wilcara @ May 30 2005, 06:36 AM)
I know I caught the damn thing, that is all that matters to me.

Well said I agree.

Damn, after reading some replies here I wonder if this board should be renamed peta.com. If I caught a fish like that and could afford to mount it you better believe that thing would be on my wall, which is where this fish will probably end up. A fine trophy it will make I am sure.

I seriously wonder if anyone on this board has ever gotten blood on their hands.... be it from a fish, bird, or mammal. It must just sicken some of you to see all those mounts in cabelas.......

Well fellas I'm gonna have to close this one down as it appears that it is getting a little ugly for my liking. There will always be two sides to this debate and I don't think that will ever change. If these conversations could exist without flaming one another I would let them go but this one is already heading down that path.

-Will