Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

A Rapala Diver!

Okay, I was watching Larry Dahlberg this afternoon and this inspiration hits me: I have a lot of success on a certain lake (Yes Marty, THAT lake!) with a Hot Clown pattern Rapala. I like Dahlberg Divers, and I've been meaning to tie some for this year. I started thinking, HEY! Tie one in Hot Clown!

It's more or less the same except that the back of the Rap is a Yellow/Chartreuse, and the closest color I had was light Chartreuse Marabou. Underneath is Gold Krystal Flash and a touch of Flashabou Mirage. The hook is wrapped with Holographic Gold tinsel. I think that this pattern works well there because there are a lot of Golden Shiners.

Now before you critique too closely... I was excited so when I saw the right colors of deer hair I started cutting. Halfway through the fly I realized I was using Bucktail instead of body hair! laugh.gif

The eyes are stuck on with Softex 'cause I ran outta glue and keep forgetting to get more. I plan to secure them with glu when I get some, before I fish with them.

Unless I can sneak out tomorrow morning.

In which case it's "eyes away!"

post-23-1117136392.jpg

Looks good.

I had the same idea except in more of a muddler style. The "Firetiger" muddler so to speak, it worked too. Caught bass, bluegill & even 3 crappie on it.

Thanks for the pic.

Mandoyak

I used to use that same exact Rapala. Then I switched to a black backed, silver minnow Rapala one. I caught 2 bass on the same lure, its so fun realing in those 2 bass knowing only 1 lure was out.

( no i didnt catch 2 on the lure in total, like i mean i caught 2 at the same time.